Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Thought this was good

  1. #1
    Forum Master OZfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    732

    Thought this was good

    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ey...-of-bad-owners

    borrowed this from another fan site but liked its content. I think the Maloofs stink, nice to see writers from outside the kings fanbase also acknowlege it






  2. #2
    Super Moderator nuraman00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28,386
    You can paste articles from another site anytime.













  3. #3
    Forum Master bloatedmaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,420
    I think a lot of people in the NBA circle acknowledge the crapitude of the Kings ownership. A year ago...I think it was Bill Simmons, had an article devoted to critizing the Maloofs and questioning if they had the funds to support the team anymore. Blamed them for a lot of the team's woes.

    I mean....when you single handedly junk an arena plan fully supported by the league....fire a hall of fame caliber head coach...publicly state you'll only hire coaches willing to work for food stamps....keep the team around the minimum payroll (and even fall under) for 3 straight years....lose every business they've ever touched while looking at any city willing to let them stay for free....its impossible to not assume they suck at life.






  4. #4
    Forum Master kingraider412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hollywood Beach, Fl
    Posts
    2,133
    Excellent Article. Thanks! And to all my friends who post on here and before on ESPN.
    God Bless You Guys and Happy Holidays! Where else can a dork like me living in Miami, Fl talk about the train wreck known as the Kings!

    David






  5. #5
    Super Moderator nuraman00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28,386
    Quote Originally Posted by bloatedmaniac View Post
    I think a lot of people in the NBA circle acknowledge the crapitude of the Kings ownership. A year ago...I think it was Bill Simmons, had an article devoted to critizing the Maloofs and questioning if they had the funds to support the team anymore. Blamed them for a lot of the team's woes.

    I mean....when you single handedly junk an arena plan fully supported by the league....fire a hall of fame caliber head coach...publicly state you'll only hire coaches willing to work for food stamps....keep the team around the minimum payroll (and even fall under) for 3 straight years....lose every business they've ever touched while looking at any city willing to let them stay for free....its impossible to not assume they suck at life.

    The other stuff is true.

    But they're up to the salary cap this year. And as I mentioned in another thread, they didn't have the cap space to spend on a good FA this year. After signing Thompson and waiving Whiteside, the Kings only had $6.1M in cap space, and they used it.

    They didn't have enough cap space to make a big splash (as they did in the previous years), and potentially make a real difference. The longterm cap management hasn't been good.

    Some of those previous years, there weren't enough good FAs. I would have liked David Lee in 2010 though, and Humphries in 2011.

    They've resigned most of their decent players like Thompson and Thornton. The problem is that none of these guys are superstars.

    You need a superstar to make the playoffs. Ok, the Jazz did it last year without one, but without getting one, I don't see them getting much better right now.













  6. #6
    Super Moderator nuraman00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28,386
    Quote Originally Posted by kingraider412 View Post
    Excellent Article. Thanks! And to all my friends who post on here and before on ESPN.
    God Bless You Guys and Happy Holidays! Where else can a dork like me living in Miami, Fl talk about the train wreck known as the Kings!

    David
    Hey, I call myself a dork too!













  7. #7
    Forum Master kingraider412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hollywood Beach, Fl
    Posts
    2,133






  8. #8
    Forum Master kingraider412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hollywood Beach, Fl
    Posts
    2,133






  9. #9
    Super Moderator nuraman00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28,386
    Quote Originally Posted by kingraider412 View Post
    Is that you and Mrs. kingraider412?













  10. #10
    Forum Master GoKings2010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,771
    Cant go wrong with a David!!! =]






  11. #11
    Super Moderator nuraman00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28,386
    Quote Originally Posted by GoKings2010 View Post
    Cant go wrong with a David!!! =]













  12. #12
    Forum Master kingraider412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hollywood Beach, Fl
    Posts
    2,133
    Thx Brothers,

    Yes, my wifey Jackeline






  13. #13
    Forum Master GoKings2010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,771
    You met her out there in Fl or down here before u moved out there? Any single friends wanna try long distance lol ;)






  14. #14
    Forum Master kingraider412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hollywood Beach, Fl
    Posts
    2,133
    No in Miami. She's from Brazil. My mother is French and Pops from Peru.
    Yes, a lot of hot Brazilian women in South Fla.image.jpg






  15. #15
    Super Moderator nuraman00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28,386
    Is that one of your favorite places in Miami?













  16. #16
    Super Moderator nuraman00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28,386
    When did you move, and why, if you don't mind sharing?













  17. #17
    Forum Master bloatedmaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,420
    Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    The other stuff is true.

    But they're up to the salary cap this year. And as I mentioned in another thread, they didn't have the cap space to spend on a good FA this year. After signing Thompson and waiving Whiteside, the Kings only had $6.1M in cap space, and they used it.

    They didn't have enough cap space to make a big splash (as they did in the previous years), and potentially make a real difference. The longterm cap management hasn't been good.

    Some of those previous years, there weren't enough good FAs. I would have liked David Lee in 2010 though, and Humphries in 2011.

    They've resigned most of their decent players like Thompson and Thornton. The problem is that none of these guys are superstars.

    You need a superstar to make the playoffs. Ok, the Jazz did it last year without one, but without getting one, I don't see them getting much better right now.
    Its still a reality, and one other teams weren't contending with. They had to be paid by other teams to take injured player contracts just to get them over the minimum salary cap. Even though the Kings didn't have a chance to sign star players....there were plenty better options than guys like Antonie Wright, Pooh Jeter, Luther Head. They were signing worthless people at the minimum who did not belong in the NBA. That was inexcusable, and they were doing it with intent.

    The Kings didn't have a lot of empty cap space this year, but why was that? They overpaid Thornton and Hayes last year to get them in good standing payroll wise (if they didn't sign either they'd been below the minimum last year to start the season). They signed worthless as hell Outlaw and brought over Salmons. They didn't want to amnesty a player to free up additional space. So if the Maloofs wanted to keep the payroll down the previous 4 years when they hovered around the minimum cap....if their idea of making a splash was resigning JT, Thornton and addding Hayes and Outlaw then yeah they deserve to burn in hell. That goes there with the horrible idea of Detroit to signing Charlie V and Ben Gordon with their cap space.






  18. #18
    Super Moderator nuraman00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28,386
    Quote Originally Posted by bloatedmaniac View Post
    Its still a reality, and one other teams weren't contending with. They had to be paid by other teams to take injured player contracts just to get them over the minimum salary cap. Even though the Kings didn't have a chance to sign star players....there were plenty better options than guys like Antonie Wright, Pooh Jeter, Luther Head. They were signing worthless people at the minimum who did not belong in the NBA. That was inexcusable, and they were doing it with intent.

    The Kings didn't have a lot of empty cap space this year, but why was that? They overpaid Thornton and Hayes last year to get them in good standing payroll wise (if they didn't sign either they'd been below the minimum last year to start the season). They signed worthless as hell Outlaw and brought over Salmons. They didn't want to amnesty a player to free up additional space. So if the Maloofs wanted to keep the payroll down the previous 4 years when they hovered around the minimum cap....if their idea of making a splash was resigning JT, Thornton and addding Hayes and Outlaw then yeah they deserve to burn in hell. That goes there with the horrible idea of Detroit to signing Charlie V and Ben Gordon with their cap space.
    I'm not disagreeing that the cap management has been a problem. Especially since players like Thornton and Hayes haven't made the difference they envisioned. (I'm not even getting into Outlaw.)

    I'm just saying that they weren't at the minimum payroll 3 straight years, as this year they're at the cap.

    They were above the cap in 2008-2009 and 2009-2010. The next two years, near the minimum. This year, at the cap. I was just correcting the 3-years-at-the-minimum thing.

    As I said, in 2010 I would have liked Carlos Boozer or David Lee (and I think at least one of them was attainable). In 2011, Humphries or Dalembert would have been nice, and better than Hayes. In 2012, they couldn't really do anything, not enough cap space. But 2010 would have been the year to get an All-Star type player like Boozer or Lee. It doesn't matter if they're a little overpaid, because they're still a lot better than the current Kings bigs.

    They could have also tried trading for someone like Jefferson or Gortat. (Before Utah got Jefferson).

    They could have signed Mayo instead of Brooks and Johnson.

    I agree, there's more they could have done.

    And yes, I agree that Detroit's moves of Villanueva and Gordon were as bad. I think most of us also scratched our heads at that one.













  19. #19
    Forum Master kingraider412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hollywood Beach, Fl
    Posts
    2,133
    Sure, actually my parents moved in 89. Work related reasons. My father was a pilot for Avianca and there was Alot of Opportunity in South Fla. It is the Latin American hub for the United States. I could never like the Heat. Ron Rothstein their first coach.






Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •