Thread: Ex-Cincinnati Red Ryan Freel dead from apparent suicide

Microphone Master IowaSacKing93's Avatar

Ex-Cincinnati Red Ryan Freel dead from apparent suicide

R.I.P. Found dead in Florida from self-inflicted gunshot wound.

It saddens me when ex-players do this. Freel was about as mediocre as players come..so I hope this wasn't anything related to baseball, but who knows.

He was 36.

Freel was the man on one of my fantasy teams. Sucks - seemed like a good guy.

Thanks for posting about it.

Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    Thanks for posting about it.
    Yeah, no problem. obviously people are going to forget and move on, but it's something that should be known about.

Freel had some head injuries:

+++++++++++++++++++

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Freel

Injuries

On May 28, 2007, Freel was injured in a game against the Pittsburgh Pirates when chasing a deep drive to right-center field. Freel and right fielder Norris Hopper collided, resulting in Freel's head and neck hitting Hopper and finally the warning track. He was transported by ambulance to Good Samaritan Hospital, where he was reported to be coherent with feeling in his extremities. Freel began working out on June 15, about 2 weeks after the collision. He was briefly sent to the AAA Louisville Bats for rehabilitation. Freel began getting random headaches and pains in his head, which delayed his return for another 2 weeks. On July 3, 2007, 1 month and 5 days after the accident, Freel returned to play for the Cincinnati Reds and was healthy until being placed on the 15-day DL with torn cartilage in his right knee on August 7.

In 2009 with the Baltimore Orioles, he was hit by a pickoff throw in the head while on 2nd base. He was put on the Disabled List after the injury.[7]

On May 17, 2010, he officially retired.

There's also this:

+++++++++++++++

Farney

Freel gained some notoriety in August of 2006 when The Dayton Daily News reported that Freel talked to an imaginary voice in his head named Farney.[4] Said Freel: "He's a little guy who lives in my head who talks to me and I talk to him. That little midget in my head said, 'That was a great catch, Ryan,' I said, 'Hey, Farney, I don't know if that was you who really caught that ball, but that was pretty good if it was.' Everybody thinks I talk to myself, so I tell 'em I'm talking to Farney."[5] Freel later said that Farney's name arose from a conversation with Reds trainer Mark Mann: "He actually made a comment like, 'How are the voices in your head?' We'd play around and finally this year he said, 'What's the guy's name?' I said, 'Let's call him Farney.' So now everybody's like, 'Run, Farney, run' or 'Let Farney hit today. You're not hitting very well.'"[6]

There's also this:

+++++++++++++++

Farney

Freel gained some notoriety in August of 2006 when The Dayton Daily News reported that Freel talked to an imaginary voice in his head named Farney.[4] Said Freel: "He's a little guy who lives in my head who talks to me and I talk to him. That little midget in my head said, 'That was a great catch, Ryan,' I said, 'Hey, Farney, I don't know if that was you who really caught that ball, but that was pretty good if it was.' Everybody thinks I talk to myself, so I tell 'em I'm talking to Farney."[5] Freel later said that Farney's name arose from a conversation with Reds trainer Mark Mann: "He actually made a comment like, 'How are the voices in your head?' We'd play around and finally this year he said, 'What's the guy's name?' I said, 'Let's call him Farney.' So now everybody's like, 'Run, Farney, run' or 'Let Farney hit today. You're not hitting very well.'"[6]
    Wow, interesting.

There's also this:

+++++++++++++++

Farney

That's quite interesting, I never heard about that one before. I wonder how long him and "farney" co-existed, if it started from all the injuries which it probably did. Sad case.

"During his playing days, he once estimated he had sustained up to 10 concussions. Freel missed 30 games in 2007 after a collision with a teammate caused a concussion."

Head injuries definately take their toll. Way way way too many suicides.