Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Daily Dime 12-27-2012

ESPN Daily Dime 12-27-2012

Posting article because the link to the current daily dime changes after a day.

+++++++++++++++

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime

1. Kings Sink Lower Without Troubled Big Man

By Kevin Pelton
    ESPN Insider

PORTLAND, Ore. -- DeMarcus Cousins never made it to Portland on Wednesday. The rest of his Sacramento Kings teammates got run out of the Rose Garden. With their leading scorer back home in Sacramento, the Kings were blown out by the Portland Trail Blazers 109-91, tying the Blazers' largest margin of victory this season.

Two days after Cousins' "indefinite" suspension for unprofessional behavior and conduct detrimental to the team was lifted, he did not travel with the team. Sacramento coach Keith Smart indicated before the game that Cousins' reinstatement did not automatically mean his return to the lineup.

"I just made the decision," said Smart. "We'll get back and he'll prepare to start playing. I wanted him to be back around the team and eventually start playing."

When Sacramento earned a rare win -- one of just two in the team's last nine games -- over these same Blazers on Sunday at home during the one game Cousins missed, it sparked the inevitable talk that the Kings are better off without him. That doesn't match up with the overall results during the five games Cousins has missed this season due to a variety of suspensions. Sacramento is 1-4 in those games.

AP Photo/Ross D. FranklinDeMarcus Cousins sat out Wednesday's game.

Over the course of the season, the Kings have been better with Cousins on the bench. However, that's almost entirely the result of him playing opposite defensive savant Chuck Hayes, his backup at center. Smart can only extend Hayes' minutes so much with Cousins out of the lineup, forcing him to rely on small-ball lineups. Sacramento has started a front line of forwards James Johnson and Jason Thompson in Cousins' absence.

The smaller group can space the floor on offense and has shared the ball effectively, which led to hot shooting in Sunday's win. The bill came due Wednesday night at the other end of the court, where Portland pounded the ball inside to big men LaMarcus Aldridge and J.J. Hickson. The two players combined for 45 points and 26 rebounds and both recorded double-doubles -- the ninth consecutive for Hickson, who was cast off by the Kings in March and claimed off waivers by the Blazers.

In general, Portland owned the painted area. The Blazers collected nearly half their own misses and scored 27 second-chance points. Those easy buckets fueled a 50-36 advantage in points in the paint. In addition to the scores from the big men, rookie Will Barton also took advantage of the lane to the rim to score a career-high 14 points. Sacramento could stay in the game with hot outside shooting for a quarter, but overcoming Portland's paint dominance was too much to ask of a short-handed group also playing without guard Tyreke Evans, the Kings' second-leading scorer.
    "Especially with our two big guys out, there's not a lot of margin for error," said guard Isaiah Thomas. "We've got to really focus in on all times and do the little things."

Without Cousins, Smart has few alternatives to small ball on a roster featuring just four true big men. Lottery pick Thomas Robinson still looks lost much of the time two months into his transition to the NBA, and tweener forward Travis Outlaw poses the same defensive issues as Johnson without the athletic upside.

Fortunately for Sacramento, Cousins' return is near. "We'll get a practice [Thursday] and incorporate DeMarcus back into our basketball team and start getting ready for the next game," Smart said after the game, although he made no promises that Cousins would play Friday against the New York Knicks at Sleep Train Arena. His most definitive statement? "We'll see once I get back in town."

The Kings aren't a very good team right now no matter who's on the court. The team's play without Cousins is most relevant as ownership and president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie consider possibly dealing their troublesome star prior to the trade deadline, a task already complicated by the difficulty of finding a partner willing to offer value for Cousins. To stay afloat the rest of the season and balance the roster, Sacramento would need to get frontcourt help as part of the return package. (Take note, maestros of the Trade Machine.)

If the Kings want to avoid more ugly outcomes like Wednesday's, trading Cousins won't be a simple task.

Kevin Pelton is an author for Basketball Prospectus and a contributor to ESPN Insider.

Drummond, Gortat, Or Monroe.

Oh good god, I wouldn't want Stuckey and his miserable contract here. He can't shoot, doesn't make plays, doesn't defend. Cousins for Drummond is already giving Detroit the advantage, taking Stuckey would be worse than taking Salmons. At least Salmons can play.

I wouldn't mind a deal involving Drummond or Monroe though. Cousins has more talent, but he won't be part of the future which we all know. Drummond can help the rebounding and is a good shot blocker. At only 19, he has a lot of time to grow!
    Cousins + Outlaw for Drummond/Monroe + Daye. I could live with that. Hell throw in Evans for their unprotected first and/or Brandon Knight!

Quote Originally Posted by bloatedmaniac View Post
    Oh good god, I wouldn't want Stuckey and his miserable contract here. He can't shoot, doesn't make plays, doesn't defend. Cousins for Drummond is already giving Detroit the advantage, taking Stuckey would be worse than taking Salmons. At least Salmons can play.

I wouldn't mind a deal involving Drummond or Monroe though. Cousins has more talent, but he won't be part of the future which we all know. Drummond can help the rebounding and is a good shot blocker. At only 19, he has a lot of time to grow!
    Cousins + Outlaw for Drummond/Monroe + Daye. I could live with that. Hell throw in Evans for their unprotected first and/or Brandon Knight!
    They would protect the 1st rounder, most likely. Teams rarely leave those things unprotected, and if so, it would only be unprotected years from now.

I wouldn't do Evans for what will probably be a top 10 protected pick this year. I don't think the Kings can afford to wait on a future pick either. Which could be a sub-10 pick if Detroit gets good next year.

But I can understand why some would want to go that route.

I just think the draft is such a gamble, that sub-10 pick (let's say Detroit finishes with the 13th pick next year) isn't worth it. You're getting Brandon Rush or Jerryd Bayless at that point.

I also think kingraider412 needs to charge his phone. 10% battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    They would protect the 1st rounder, most likely. Teams rarely leave those things unprotected, and if so, it would only be unprotected years from now.

I wouldn't do Evans for what will probably be a top 10 protected pick this year. I don't think the Kings can afford to wait on a future pick either. Which could be a sub-10 pick if Detroit gets good next year.

But I can understand why some would want to go that route.

I just think the draft is such a gamble, that sub-10 pick (let's say Detroit finishes with the 13th pick next year) isn't worth it. You're getting Brandon Rush or Jerryd Bayless at that point.
    That's why I said unprotected. If they want a top-10 protected pick then it wouldn't be something to consider at all. 1-4 I could live with, but after that the pick's value goes down the tube.

Whether the Kings could afford to wait for a future pick is essentially irrelevant at this point since they have no choice. They aren't going to sign a legit free agent. Evans and Cousins will not bring a franchise altering player back, or even a really good player. Evans is an impending restricted free agent who can't play hurt...yet is always hurt. He also lacks a bonafide position. He has value, but you won't get much back. If the Kings can get a sub 10 pick, that's better than the nothing that will come their way soon.

For Cousins, Drummond/Monroe don't have the peak potential he has but they are young and stable. They give the team certainty at the position that they do not have. Even when Cousins plays, you don't know how long you can even keep him on the floor before he gets into foul trouble. If he peaks he will be gone anyway, so a Detroit trade is best.

That's why I said unprotected. If they want a top-10 protected pick then it wouldn't be something to consider at all. 1-4 I could live with, but after that the pick's value goes down the tube.

Whether the Kings could afford to wait for a future pick is essentially irrelevant at this point since they have no choice. They aren't going to sign a legit free agent. Evans and Cousins will not bring a franchise altering player back, or even a really good player. Evans is an impending restricted free agent who can't play hurt...yet is always hurt. He also lacks a bonafide position. He has value, but you won't get much back. If the Kings can get a sub 10 pick, that's better than the nothing that will come their way soon.

For Cousins, Drummond/Monroe don't have the peak potential he has but they are young and stable. They give the team certainty at the position that they do not have. Even when Cousins plays, you don't know how long you can even keep him on the floor before he gets into foul trouble. If he peaks he will be gone anyway, so a Detroit trade is best.
    They can always get the same thing in a sign-and-trade during RFA, IMO.

He might even choose to take a qualifier, if he doesn't like the offers, and hope he had a good year next year.

This year isn't over for him though, there's still 54+ games.

Consider his season a loss. He always hurt and hes only like 23-25yrs old. Hes already missed 10 games out of 28. Come on MAN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GoKings2010 View Post
    Consider his season a loss. He always hurt and hes only like 23-25yrs old. Hes already missed 10 games out of 28. Come on MAN!!!!
    He's 23, not 25.

He's not the only person around the league hurt. John Wall is hurt. Brandon Rush is hurt.

Varejao has been out for almost 2 weeks.

Felton is out for several weeks. Wilson Chandler will be out for almost 2 months soon.

Budinger is out for several months.

Jason Smith has been out for several weeks.

Eric Gordon hasn't played a game this year.

Lowry has only played in 15 games this year. He's missed more games than Evans.

Valanciunas will miss 6 weeks.

These are all young players I've mentioned. Most players don't play 76+ games in a year. Players get hurt.

Bibby and Stojakovic used to miss games.

He's 23, not 25.

He's not the only person around the league hurt. John Wall is hurt. Brandon Rush is hurt.

Varejao has been out for almost 2 weeks.

Felton is out for several weeks. Wilson Chandler will be out for almost 2 months soon.

Budinger is out for several months.

Jason Smith has been out for several weeks.

Eric Gordon hasn't played a game this year.

Lowry has only played in 15 games this year. He's missed more games than Evans.

Valanciunas will miss 6 weeks.

These are all young players I've mentioned. Most players don't play 76+ games in a year. Players get hurt.

Bibby and Stojakovic used to miss games.

The difference is that Tyreke Evans consistantly misses time for day to day things.....except day to day is week to week things. Its like Kevin Martin was here. If he isn't 100% he won't play. These aren't serious issues that he has unlike others you mentioned. He has a sore knee so good bye for 2 weeks. Sore ankle? Good bye for two weeks. No damage? Oh well He is still out. Foot ailment? Missing 20 games and play so uselessly he may as well of been out the whole year.

So yeah there is a big difference between sustaining an injury, and milking soreness. Evans gives off more milk than a cow.

The difference is that Tyreke Evans consistantly misses time for day to day things.....except day to day is week to week things. Its like Kevin Martin was here. If he isn't 100% he won't play. These aren't serious issues that he has unlike others you mentioned. He has a sore knee so good bye for 2 weeks. Sore ankle? Good bye for two weeks. No damage? Oh well He is still out. Foot ailment? Missing 20 games and play so uselessly he may as well of been out the whole year.

So yeah there is a big difference between sustaining an injury, and milking soreness. Evans gives off more milk than a cow.
    How would you compare him to Kevin Martin?

KingsOwn19 used to joke that Martin's nipples were sore from milking.

Not all of the players I mentioned had structural injuries. Gordon's injury is just as vague as Evans. "Right knee soreness" for Gordon.

I also think whether something is day-to-day or week-to-week is a matter of opinion. Or, I think something that is day-to-day can lead to week-to-week things if not properly healed. I've seem many players try to come back too soon, over-compensate, then have some sort of structural damage afterward.

Carlos Boozer missed almost a year from February 2005 to February 2006 because of a strained hamstring. Sloan didn't make one comment about Boozer not being tough enough, or taking too long, or milking injury. Whatever the problem is, I think it was for the better that he missed that much time. Because once he came back, he only missed games after that for hard breaks and structural injuries, not soreness.

Curry's sore ankles seem to be just as vague. If he can stay healthy for 1-2 straight years, then I think his case is similar, in that it was probably better to miss all of the time that he has so far, in that lump sum, then to come back too early and over compensate and cause another problem.

I also think most players suck when they try to play hurt, because so much of the game is about quick movements.

I believe Gordon was coming back off a surgery for his knee and it really hasnt healed correctly? Tyreke hasnt had no surgeries on his knee at all I beleive. and just like bloated said Tyrekes injuries are minor. I mean hed sit out with a broken finger. Tyreke is a complete bum at the age of 23. he has more injuries in his career than Curry does and he goes down with a ankle injury every yr too. Alot of those players u mentioned on that list arent hurt every yr too. Tyreke hasnt been healthy since his rookie yr. After that he has declinedd each and every yr with injuries. Its time more him to Go along with Cousins,Petrie n Smart.

They can always get the same thing in a sign-and-trade during RFA, IMO.

He might even choose to take a qualifier, if he doesn't like the offers, and hope he had a good year next year.

This year isn't over for him though, there's still 54+ games.
    That would be hoping the team that he agrees to a contract with has a sub 10 pick to give up for Tyreke. If they have enough payroll to sign him cold turkey, they might not want to give up anything to see if the Kings match which given the financial state of the Kings might not happen. A team might also want to dump a mediocre contract back on the Kings to help absorb the difference in salaries which the Kings have a habit of taking on. Also though he might choose to accept the qualifier, but the Kings don't really gain much from another year of Tyreke. The team has to move on sooner or later and not drag its feet with players who don't have a future here. Its hard to build for the future, if you cling to past failures.

That would be hoping the team that he agrees to a contract with has a sub 10 pick to give up for Tyreke. If they have enough payroll to sign him cold turkey, they might not want to give up anything to see if the Kings match which given the financial state of the Kings might not happen. A team might also want to dump a mediocre contract back on the Kings to help absorb the difference in salaries which the Kings have a habit of taking on. Also though he might choose to accept the qualifier, but the Kings don't really gain much from another year of Tyreke. The team has to move on sooner or later and not drag its feet with players who don't have a future here. Its hard to build for the future, if you cling to past failures.
    Whether I agree with it or not, most teams do a sign-and-trade with the team holding the RFA rights, because they want to lower their own payroll, rather than add payroll by signing that player outright and hoping the original team doesn't match.

I do think in several situations that a team would have been better off not doing a sign-and-trade, but rather signing a player outright. (This is for more than RFA situations, this is for regular FA situations too.) But it doesn't seem to happen that often.

I think the Kings would get more than a bad contract in return, through a RFA trade. I think they would get something better. I don't know what, but it's usually better than that.

Also, a team that Evans would want to sign with would have to have cap space, and teams with cap space are usually lottery teams that have a pretty good draft pick. So that's where the Kings could get a pick from. There are exceptions, such as Miami entering the 2010 offseason had made the playoffs that same year, but they planned it so they'd have lots of cap space to sign some FAs. But in general, teams with a significant amount of cap space are lottery teams, hoping to make a splash.

Personally, I think getting a 7-10 pick for Evans would hurt the franchise more than keeping Evans for another year. Because I think the 5-10 pick would be less of a player than Evans, so that would be compounding the problem. It's not that I think Evans is great, but I don't value draft picks as much. A lot of them end up out of the league, or as non-starters, or as players who are just decent. I value FAs more. Most contending teams usually had some trade acquisition or FA that made them as good as they were. I think players via trade (assuming they're good) or FA are more more likely to succeed than draft picks.

So, while keeping Evans for a 5th year might not move the team forward, I think getting a 7+ pick won't move the team forward either.

Whether I agree with it or not, most teams do a sign-and-trade with the team holding the RFA rights, because they want to lower their own payroll, rather than add payroll by signing that player outright and hoping the original team doesn't match.

I do think in several situations that a team would have been better off not doing a sign-and-trade, but rather signing a player outright. (This is for more than RFA situations, this is for regular FA situations too.) But it doesn't seem to happen that often.

I think the Kings would get more than a bad contract in return, through a RFA trade. I think they would get something better. I don't know what, but it's usually better than that.

Also, a team that Evans would want to sign with would have to have cap space, and teams with cap space are usually lottery teams that have a pretty good draft pick. So that's where the Kings could get a pick from. There are exceptions, such as Miami entering the 2010 offseason had made the playoffs that same year, but they planned it so they'd have lots of cap space to sign some FAs. But in general, teams with a significant amount of cap space are lottery teams, hoping to make a splash.

Personally, I think getting a 7-10 pick for Evans would hurt the franchise more than keeping Evans for another year. Because I think the 5-10 pick would be less of a player than Evans, so that would be compounding the problem. It's not that I think Evans is great, but I don't value draft picks as much. A lot of them end up out of the league, or as non-starters, or as players who are just decent. I value FAs more. Most contending teams usually had some trade acquisition or FA that made them as good as they were. I think players via trade (assuming they're good) or FA are more more likely to succeed than draft picks.

So, while keeping Evans for a 5th year might not move the team forward, I think getting a 7+ pick won't move the team forward either.
    Well lets look at it this way. 1 year of Evans while the team is miserable means nothing for this team. They will be bad with or without him. Becoming an unrestricted free agent lessens his value as the team trading for him takes on greater risks. He can also further diminish his value with his typical ticky-tack injuries. If you can get a potential 5-10 pick whether its now or as a RFA then the team has to do it. The core of this roster is bad. More than half of the Kings roster is useless on most nights. If they are ever going to rebuild then they need to find people that can be effective at any position. There are as many good draft picks that come from the 5+ range, as they do the 1-4. Its all about smart selection. Since the Kings aren't going to be players in the free agent market, the draft and trade route are their only recourse. Since as you said...a team attempting to sign Evans is likely to be terrible you won't get a good veteran player from them. A pick may or may not work out but having a chance for the player drafted to be an effective rotation player for several seasons does mean far more than one year of Evans.

You are right free agents hold more value, but not if your team isn't willing to sign anyone not named Pooh Jeter. When was the last time this team splurged on free agency or even signed a solid one? Again, the draft is going to be a necessary component of this team. Its definately not the most effective route as we have seen, especially when the coaching staff here is useless but there are no alternatives. The Kings won't spend the money or at least not spend it intelligently. That means they need to draft people with talent without all the ??? that they have been. I mean the Kings would of looked a lot better right now with Monroe, Leonard, Liliard than Cousins, jimmer, and T-Rob.

There are as many good draft picks that come from the 5+ range, as they do the 1-4.
    I just don't think there's many good players in any draft, whether 1-4 or 5+.

There's maybe 3 good players on average every draft, the rest can be replaced by vets if necessary.

At this point, I prefer trying to trade for a veteran. Like when Boston got Ray Allen, or the Nuggets Billups, or the Timberwolves Cassell.

Sometimes there's these good vets that are on bad teams, and those bad teams want to move them.

Maybe Gortat can now be considered that veteran.

That means they need to draft people with talent without all the ??? that they have been. I mean the Kings would of looked a lot better right now with Monroe, Leonard, Liliard than Cousins, jimmer, and T-Rob.

Yeah, those are some good players, that don't have the problem the current Kings do. Maybe I'm just sick of the Kings drafts (although I liked Evans and Cousins and Robinson at the time, as well as Thompson and Hawes. For Fredette, I preferred Walker).

However, Monroe and Lillard are on teams just as bad as the Kings (or teams with a lot of problems too). Maybe that's another argument to try and get a talented veteran in (while still keeping some of the Kings young players).

I'm not saying these good drafted players are to blame, but that it still takes a lot more to get a team out of repeated lottery.

Of course, it still goes back to the Kings not having a superstar. Usually these good vets work with another existent superstar.

Allen with Pierce in Boston.

Cassell with Garnett in Minnesota.

Marion with Nowitzki in Dallas.

Billups had the dual role of being that star as well as playing with Anthony.

A pick may or may not work out but having a chance for the player drafted to be an effective rotation player for several seasons does mean far more than one year of Evans.
    When I read "effective rotation player", I think of Jarrett Jack or Steve Novak or Jason Thompson. That doesn't get me excited.

I want a superstar, and there's just not many in the league, and they don't even come every draft.

I think I would rather trade Evans for a vet than a pick.

I just don't think there's many good players in any draft, whether 1-4 or 5+.

There's maybe 3 good players on average every draft, the rest can be replaced by vets if necessary.

At this point, I prefer trying to trade for a veteran. Like when Boston got Ray Allen, or the Nuggets Billups, or the Timberwolves Cassell.

Sometimes there's these good vets that are on bad teams, and those bad teams want to move them.

Maybe Gortat can now be considered that veteran.

Yeah, those are some good players, that don't have the problem the current Kings do. Maybe I'm just sick of the Kings drafts (although I liked Evans and Cousins and Robinson at the time, as well as Thompson and Hawes. For Fredette, I preferred Walker).

However, Monroe and Lillard are on teams just as bad as the Kings (or teams with a lot of problems too). Maybe that's another argument to try and get a talented veteran in (while still keeping some of the Kings young players).

I'm not saying these good drafted players are to blame, but that it still takes a lot more to get a team out of repeated lottery.

Of course, it still goes back to the Kings not having a superstar. Usually these good vets work with another existent superstar.

Allen with Pierce in Boston.

Cassell with Garnett in Minnesota.

Marion with Nowitzki in Dallas.

Billups had the dual role of being that star as well as playing with Anthony.

When I read "effective rotation player", I think of Jarrett Jack or Steve Novak or Jason Thompson. That doesn't get me excited.

I want a superstar, and there's just not many in the league, and they don't even come every draft.

I think I would rather trade Evans for a vet than a pick.
    Well drafting well makes a big difference in perception. Look at the Thunder. They really never made a big trade to become good or made free agent signings, but they drafted very well. They got Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, Collison, Harden. The Spurs landed Manu, Parker and most of their bench from late in the first round.

I understand your lack of the appeal with the draft from the Kings side as the really have not drafted anyone worth holding on to. A large part is probably the lack of bonafide coaching and trainers here. They also take more leaps on guys who just never panned out fully. As you mentioned...the players that they've landed are bubble players who aren't good enough to build around, but not bad enough to give up on. Lots of unfulfilled potential. The funny part....players they are high on (Holiday, Monroe, Liliard, Leonard, Rubio) they pass up but those would of had a bigger impact. They scout right, choose wrong.

As far as trading Evans for a vet over a pick...I'd be fine with that if you can get a good one. I don't want another Salmons, nor do I want a Gasol who'd leave after a year. Evan's stock value really can't land someone in between. You also want a vet who'd be happy playing here and not just demand a trade and become a cancer. I really would like a Gortat here...but as an impending free agent its hard to imagine him wanting to stay here.

All in all, the Kings situation is just crap. The owners are broke and don't care. The GM is useless. The roster is a mix of bad, disappointing, and average players with too many egos.

Well drafting well makes a big difference in perception. Look at the Thunder. They really never made a big trade to become good or made free agent signings, but they drafted very well. They got Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, Collison, Harden. The Spurs landed Manu, Parker and most of their bench from late in the first round.

I understand your lack of the appeal with the draft from the Kings side as the really have not drafted anyone worth holding on to. A large part is probably the lack of bonafide coaching and trainers here. They also take more leaps on guys who just never panned out fully. As you mentioned...the players that they've landed are bubble players who aren't good enough to build around, but not bad enough to give up on. Lots of unfulfilled potential. The funny part....players they are high on (Holiday, Monroe, Liliard, Leonard, Rubio) they pass up but those would of had a bigger impact. They scout right, choose wrong.

As far as trading Evans for a vet over a pick...I'd be fine with that if you can get a good one. I don't want another Salmons, nor do I want a Gasol who'd leave after a year. Evan's stock value really can't land someone in between. You also want a vet who'd be happy playing here and not just demand a trade and become a cancer. I really would like a Gortat here...but as an impending free agent its hard to imagine him wanting to stay here.

All in all, the Kings situation is just crap. The owners are broke and don't care. The GM is useless. The roster is a mix of bad, disappointing, and average players with too many egos.
    Yeah when I said vet I meant someone good. And not someone too old like Pau.

Agree with Gortat, I've also brought up his name the past few weeks.

I wonder if the Kings could have gotten in on the Harden trade.

Yeah when I said vet I meant someone good. And not someone too old like Pau.

Agree with Gortat, I've also brought up his name the past few weeks.

I wonder if the Kings could have gotten in on the Harden trade.
    I think the Kings could of easily topped the Rockets offer for Harden. The Kings pick have more value than either the protected Raptors pick or the Rockets own. They could of thrown in Evans, who I think they would of liked more than Martin at the time as he would of been perceived as a better fit. Even use Jimmer as a sweetener. The picks though would of made the difference. Then the Kings would of had a young bonafide player to build around.