Thread: Tinsley article.

Tinsley article.

I think the injuries and poor play in 1/2 of those years ruined his stint in injury more than the off-court issues. Because even though I hadn't played as close attention to those incidents as maybe a Pacers fan would have, I knew that Tinsley didn't really do anything wrong in those.

But from following his career from afar, it just seemed like he was injured too often, and then struggled playing when he would come back, some of those times.

It was hard for the franchise to feel like a contender when one player was hurt too often. So they finally moved him.

This was the opposite of Terrell Brandon IMO. In the early 2000s, Minnesota had Terrell Brandon, and Billups backing him up. Brandon was better, but was hurt all the time. Whenever Billups played as a starter, he played well.

Brandon was hurt again for 2001-2002, playing in 32, while Billups played in 82. Even though Minnesota got swept 3-0 by Dallas in the 2002 playoffs, with Brandon hurt, KG hand Billups had amazing lines. KG had 24 points, 18.7 rebounds, 5.0 assists, 1.7 steals, and 1.7 blocks. (Dirk was good too on the other end). Billups averaged 22 points, 5.7 assists. Billups was then a FA in 2002. I thought Minnesota should have kept him, as Billups had proved to be healthier, and played well, especially in the playoffs. But Minnesota still wanted a healthy Brandon starting. So they let Billups leave in FA, to Detroit where he signed for a starting salary of $4.5M. Big mistake.

*Standing ovation* nuraman00

My_Boy_Jamaal_Tinsley, did you read the whole article? Thoughts?

Microphone Master IowaSacKing93's Avatar
    December 9, 2007 – Tinsley, along with a group of companions, was shot at late in the night following a gathering at an Indiana night club. The bullets did not hit Tinsley, but they struck Pacers equipment manager Joey Qatato, who was with Tinsley and who eventually sued him for $400,000.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

I don't remember hearing about this one, but this was like the 3rd or 4th incident for Tinsley in a 2-year span. 2006 and 2007 were not good years for him.

I light up the jar under the light of the stars
    And write a few bars until the silence dissolves

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSacKing93 View Post
    December 9, 2007 – Tinsley, along with a group of companions, was shot at late in the night following a gathering at an Indiana night club. The bullets did not hit Tinsley, but they struck Pacers equipment manager Joey Qatato, who was with Tinsley and who eventually sued him for $400,000.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

I don't remember hearing about this one, but this was like the 3rd or 4th incident for Tinsley in a 2-year span. 2006 and 2007 were not good years for him.
    I remember reading about it.

But I also remember that most of the stuff, he was really a bystander, he wasn't an instigator.

For example, with the fight @ Detroit, Artest and Jermaine O'Neal were the most involved. I just remember Tinsley finding a dust pan, picking it up, and going after the fans in a threatening manner. But he didn't actually go into the stands, he was held back.

Well, I think Jamaal earned his spot back in the league the hard way. He went through the D-League, with a couple teams in fact, and then was called up by Utah.

As backup PG, he's a good veteran ballhandler on the court. And his character has improved, as has his image, so he's not a liability. Just a guy off the bench that knows his role.

He's averaging 5.0 assists per game in 20.3 mpg this year!

As for Jamaal simply being in the wrong place or hanging with the wrong crowd..I don't know about that. None of us can say for sure one way or the other (Like With most things, it was probably a little bit of both; the people/environment you're in, but also his own actions/emotions got involved).

When you're in an NBA player at a bar or nightclub, bad things just seem to follow. So I think Tinsley was aware of the potential for danger or 'trouble', but didn't choose to make the smartest choices. He was just a young ballplayer with disposable income around him, and probably wanted to just have a good time.

Nice find nuraman.

Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    I remember reading about it.

But I also remember that most of the stuff, he was really a bystander, he wasn't an instigator.

For example, with the fight @ Detroit, Artest and Jermaine O'Neal were the most involved. I just remember Tinsley finding a dust pan, picking it up, and going after the fans in a threatening manner. But he didn't actually go into the stands, he was held back.
    Yeah, I can agree with the Brawl.

He wasn't involved at all, and made sure not to.

But he definitely deserves some of the blame for the other incidents.

I guess another interesting to me: Even though Tinsley was banged up for a good portion of his career, he still was able to play in every season (besides 2008-09), and played in atleast 37 games all those years.

It's not like this guy took 3 years off and got away from the game. Through everything he was going through (injuries, and personal) he was able to atleast play a considerable amount every year.

Well, I think Jamaal earned his spot back in the league the hard way. He went through the D-League, with a couple teams in fact, and then was called up by Utah.

As backup PG, he's a good veteran ballhandler on the court. And his character has improved, as has his image, so he's not a liability. Just a guy off the bench that knows his role.

He's averaging 5.0 assists per game in 20.3 mpg this year!

As for Jamaal simply being in the wrong place or hanging with the wrong crowd..I don't know about that. None of us can say for sure one way or the other (Like With most things, it was probably a little bit of both; the people/environment you're in, but also his own actions/emotions got involved).

When you're in an NBA player at a bar or nightclub, bad things just seem to follow. So I think Tinsley was aware of the potential for danger or 'trouble', but didn't choose to make the smartest choices. He was just a young ballplayer with disposable income around him, and probably wanted to just have a good time.

Nice find nuraman.
    Tinsley still has amazing ball handling skills. He makes one fancy play every game it seems. For example, in the Phoenix game a few days ago, he had a great dribbling move.

Let me pull up a play from last year:

Watch the play @ 1:50:

It's not as good as the Phoenix play a few days ago, but it's a small example.

LOL, this isn't the play I was looking for, but here's another one:

Ok, I still can't find the play I was looking for, oh well.

And obviously being able to play at a good level is about more than fancy plays. But I think he's doing both, running a team well, and throwing in some fancy plays.

I'd rather have him starting over Mo Williams.

I guess another interesting to me: Even though Tinsley was banged up for a good portion of his career, he still was able to play in every season (besides 2008-09), and played in atleast 37 games all those years.

It's not like this guy took 3 years off and got away from the game. Through everything he was going through (injuries, and personal) he was able to atleast play a considerable amount every year.
    He took 2 years off (one because the Pacers sent him home, one because no one wanted him as a FA after he wasn't that good in Memphis):

* 2008-2009
    * 2010-2011.