Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Australian Open

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSacKing93 View Post
    Fed playing relatively well..
    I enjoyed the 1st set. I like the style when these two play.

Sorry I didn't post last night.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSacKing93;32142[B
    ]Have you ever been to Melbourne, nuraman00?[/B]

6-3 set 1 in the books
    No, have you?

THEJET164 has attended Wimbledon twice I think, and the FO in 2011. He's seen 3 of the 4 majors.

I will probably watch the Tomic-FED match live, but not be able to post live. But if you see it, keep up the comments, as I'll check back and respond when I can.

Microphone Master IowaSacKing93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    I enjoyed the 1st set. I like the style when these two play.

Sorry I didn't post last night.
    Well these match times are weird, lol. It's hard to really get excited for a match that's starting at 2 in the morning (usually when I retire to bed) lol. So if I see a match is on live, before bed, I won't hesitate to post and just share my thoughts, knowing that there's a small chance you, or anyone else, will be there live too.

When the later rounds start, and have match times of 12 or 12:30 AM PST, I'm going to try taking a 2 hour nap before, so I can wake up and hopefully feel refreshed enough to watch the whole thing.

Especially when FED plays a later round one, or a Murray-Del Potro potential QF.

Tipsarevic! 2 5 setters in a row.

That's now 10 of his 19 career AO matches that have gone 5 sets.

1 2 3 4 5
    6 4 6 4 3
    3 6 2 6 6

Third Round - Margaret Court Arena - 2nd Match

Tipsarevic! 2 5 setters in a row.

That's now 10 of his 19 career AO matches that have gone 5 sets.

1 2 3 4 5
    6 4 6 4 3
    3 6 2 6 6

Third Round - Margaret Court Arena - 2nd Match
    Who could he potentially meet in the round of 8?

Who could he potentially meet in the round of 8?
    In other words: Whose quarter of the bracket is he in

When the later rounds start, and have match times of 12 or 12:30 AM PST, I'm going to try taking a 2 hour nap before, so I can wake up and hopefully feel refreshed enough to watch the whole thing.

Especially when FED plays a later round one, or a Murray-Del Potro potential QF.
    Would you then pull an all-nighter, or what time would you be able to go back to sleep?

Would you then pull an all-nighter, or what time would you be able to go back to sleep?
    I don't know. A QF is going to be in the middle of the week. I would just play it by ear. But it should make it easier for me to get to 4am if I have to, for some of those long Men's matches.

It's a little annoying that the "featured match" on Rod Laver moves from 12 AM PST during the 1st week, to 12:30 AM PST (7:30 PM Melbourne Time). It would help if they started half an hour earlier like they do in the 1st week.

Tipsarevic could meet David Ferrer in the QF. In my predictions on the 1st page, I had Tipsarevic meeting him and beating him. Just because I feel Ferrer has been so steady the past few years that he's due to slip up. Although Tipsarevic is a top 10 player himself so it wouldn't entirely be a bad loss.

Watching Venus-Sharapova right now.

I'm rooting for Venus because she's never won this event. She only got to the Finals once, in 2003, and lost to Serena.

FED was down 4-1 in the 2nd set tiebreaker, but won, and won in straight sets.

Even though he won, he looked like he had to try hard to beat him. He didn't look as dominating as I'm used to seeing.

Raonic will be tougher, I think.

FED did hit a lot of great angled crosscourt shots.

Del Potro lost the Chardy in 5 sets.

Del Potro lost the Chardy in 5 sets.
    Cilic lost a 5-setter too.

So will you be able to watch the Tipsarvic match today? I'm thinking it will be sometime around 8PM PST, and it will be on ESPN 3 streaming. They might show some of it on ESPN 2 also, hopefully.

Tipsarevic-Almagro started.

IowaSacKing93, where are you?

Tipsarevic-Almagro started.

IowaSacKing93, where are you?

IowaSacKing93, I don't know if you know the news now, but Tipsarevic retired in the 2nd set. I think he was tired from playing 2 straight 5-setters.

I blame you, for not watching any of his matches this tourney. He lost before you got a chance to see him play.

I'm watching the Djokovic-Wawrinka match from earlier this morning. It's also being re-aired on ESPN 2 RIGHT NOW (but presumably at a different point than I am).

Wawrinka is up 2 breaks in the set, 4-1! He just hit a backhand winner for the break. Points like that are why I love watching tennis.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Wawrinka. If you look at the preview on my 1st page, I didn't even mention him. Because I was kind of sick of him. I like watching him, but the last few years, anytime he'd come close to winning a big point or set, he'd mentally lose it, against FED or Djokovic or those top guys.

Then when Wawrinka would lose those points, he'd get angry and start screaming or breaking his racquet.

2 years ago, his match against FED at the AO was so ugly, that after Wawrinka lost the 2nd set, ESPN commentator Chris Fowler said "Stan's not the man, he's just a tomato can". They then had an animation of a tomato can splashing against the camera screen.

But today, can he maintain his focus and pull off the upset? Or at least make it so the errors aren't mental, it's just his opponent outplaying him?

Just before this match, Brad Gilbert said that he's always believed that Wawrinka had the talent to get into the to 5-8 (He's 15th right now), but that his belief wasn't there. I agree with that. He gets angry, negative, and loses his focus if he loses a big point.

BTW, I think we've talked about Brad Gilbert's nicknames for tennis players, but I'm impressed that he can come up with a nickname for so many players.

I know some of then aren't that good. I remember you brought up how Jelena Jankovic was "Double J". Not exactly creative.

But then for Makarova, his nickname is "Hey Makarova". (Like "Hey, macarana"). LOL.

For Bernard Tomic, it's "Weekend at Bernies".

OMG! Wawrinka forehand winner (his weaker side) to break Djokovic 3 times!

6-1, 1st set.

Djokovic is 77-23 in majors when losing the 1st set. How is it possible to get that many wins?

On the other hand, I've usually believed that "fast starts" from the underdog in games don't mean as much, because there's too much time left in the game. For example, in basketball if the underdog team gets off to a "fast start" and has a 6 point lead after the 1st, there's still too much time.

In MLB, if the underdog team scores 2 runs in the 1st, there's still 8 innings left. You have to make it more substantial, like 4 runs.

Tennis may be the same way. There's a reason why FED and Murray have won I think 11 combined matches when losing the first 2 sets in a best of 5. There's still enough time for the losing team to make adjustments, or have their talent come through.