Thread: Melvin extended for 2 more years

Melvin extended for 2 more years

Haha I just noticed the Giants/A's thread and saw they were lonely.

A's though extended manager Bob Melvin's deal for an addition 2 years. Great news as Melvin represents the first legit manager this team has had since Tony Larussa. If only the team had him calling the shots from 99-03 instead of the Howe/Macha robots that were badly programmed.

What did you think of Macha?

Oh, I see, robots. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by bloatedmaniac View Post
    Haha I just noticed the Giants/A's thread and saw they were lonely.

A's though extended manager Bob Melvin's deal for an addition 2 years. Great news as Melvin represents the first legit manager this team has had since Tony Larussa. If only the team had him calling the shots from 99-03 instead of the Howe/Macha robots that were badly programmed.
    We've been posting updates here:

M.L.B. 2013

Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    What did you think of Macha?

Oh, I see, robots. Why?
    He was very uninvolved as a manager. Always was horrible when it came to knowing when to pull a starter and who to use in any situation. He'd be sitting at the end of the bench chewing gum and not move an inch even if there was a bench clearing incident. The joke on the ESPN gamethreads usually revolved around his software coding getting stuck which caused him to loop the "chew gum" program nonstop. He'd get rejected once a year on arguing a call that made little sense to argue because it was a good call to begin with. It was like his brain was on tape delay.

Players also hated him as there was not any communication. They'd try talking to him and he'd ignore them or walk away. Most players would have no clue where they would play, if they'd play, where in the lineup they'd be. During a spring training game...I believe it was Zito (maybe Harden) who was getting rocked was tipping pitches when he was going to be throwing his curve. One of the A's outfielders on the bench at the time noticed this and told Macha. Macha said you aren't a coach, that's not your business then walked off. The outfielder had to tell the A's pitcher himself who didn't realize he was doing it until after he was informed.

He would also have some of the emptiest or absurd post game interviews. Mulder would go out...give up 10 hits and 7 runs in one inning. He'd say that he pitched a good game and the opposing team just got lucky with their swings. I didn't pay attention to him when he went to the Brewers but I know a lot of Brewer fans hated him with a passion.

Sadly...Geren his replacement was even worse in every way. It was entertaining to read comments from Ex-Oakland players trashing Geren when he was finally fired. Like Huston Street:
    "Bob was never good at communication, and I don't want to speak for anybody else, but it was a sentiment reflected in many conversations during the two years I spent in Oakland, and even recently when talking to guys after I left. For me personally, he was my least favorite person I have ever encountered in sports from age 6 to 27. I am very thankful to be in a place where I can trust my manager."

or Bowen:

"Finally the A's have realized Geren has destroyed a dozen pitcher's careers and doesn't have a clue how to manage a big league club"

Fuentes called Geren the most ignorant man in baseball lol.

The Kings coaching situations the past 5 years > The A's. That's just sad.

He was very uninvolved as a manager. Always was horrible when it came to knowing when to pull a starter and who to use in any situation. He'd be sitting at the end of the bench chewing gum and not move an inch even if there was a bench clearing incident. The joke on the ESPN gamethreads usually revolved around his software coding getting stuck which caused him to loop the "chew gum" program nonstop. He'd get rejected once a year on arguing a call that made little sense to argue because it was a good call to begin with. It was like his brain was on tape delay.
    Ok, I've now seen 3 jokes on ESPN boards with respect to coaches substitution patterns.

* Nate McMillan used an egg timer to do his substitutions with Portland.

* Ty Corbin uses a stop watch for the Jazz.

* Macha is controlled by software and stuck in a "chew gum" programming loop.

Players also hated him as there was not any communication. They'd try talking to him and he'd ignore them or walk away. Most players would have no clue where they would play, if they'd play, where in the lineup they'd be. During a spring training game...I believe it was Zito (maybe Harden) who was getting rocked was tipping pitches when he was going to be throwing his curve. One of the A's outfielders on the bench at the time noticed this and told Macha. Macha said you aren't a coach, that's not your business then walked off. The outfielder had to tell the A's pitcher himself who didn't realize he was doing it until after he was informed.

He would also have some of the emptiest or absurd post game interviews. Mulder would go out...give up 10 hits and 7 runs in one inning. He'd say that he pitched a good game and the opposing team just got lucky with their swings. I didn't pay attention to him when he went to the Brewers but I know a lot of Brewer fans hated him with a passion.

Sadly...Geren his replacement was even worse in every way. It was entertaining to read comments from Ex-Oakland players trashing Geren when he was finally fired. Like Huston Street:
    "Bob was never good at communication, and I don't want to speak for anybody else, but it was a sentiment reflected in many conversations during the two years I spent in Oakland, and even recently when talking to guys after I left. For me personally, he was my least favorite person I have ever encountered in sports from age 6 to 27. I am very thankful to be in a place where I can trust my manager."

or Bowen:

"Finally the A's have realized Geren has destroyed a dozen pitcher's careers and doesn't have a clue how to manage a big league club"

Fuentes called Geren the most ignorant man in baseball lol.

The Kings coaching situations the past 5 years > The A's. That's just sad.

I didn't think Macha was as bad as you made him out to be. But I also watch baseball a lot differently than I did in 2006, I was just getting into it back then. I've seen a lot more games since then, so I'd probably notice different things now.

BTW, do you post in game threads on ESPN there?

Would you post here?

It is random between Eze, PackfanMatt_12, and I how many will show up for a Giants game in a week, but after the NBA Finals are over, I think we post about the same game at least 2-3 times a week.

I don't watch the A's as much, but do a few times a month (again, more so after the NBA Finals, or during the less active times in May during the NBA playoffs).

Also due to the staggering times of MLB games, I just end up catching 1/2 of them on the radio if I'm out driving to somewhere.

IowaSacKing93 will also make his occasional anti-Giants posts, but that just adds fun to it, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    Ok, I've now seen 3 jokes on ESPN boards with respect to coaches substitution patterns.

* Nate McMillan used an egg timer to do his substitutions with Portland.

* Ty Corbin uses a stop watch for the Jazz.

* Macha is controlled by software and stuck in a "chew gum" programming loop.

I didn't think Macha was as bad as you made him out to be. But I also watch baseball a lot differently than I did in 2006, I was just getting into it back then. I've seen a lot more games since then, so I'd probably notice different things now.

BTW, do you post in game threads on ESPN there?

Would you post here?

It is random between Eze, PackfanMatt_12, and I how many will show up for a Giants game in a week, but after the NBA Finals are over, I think we post about the same game at least 2-3 times a week.

I don't watch the A's as much, but do a few times a month (again, more so after the NBA Finals, or during the less active times in May during the NBA playoffs).

Also due to the staggering times of MLB games, I just end up catching 1/2 of them on the radio if I'm out driving to somewhere.

IowaSacKing93 will also make his occasional anti-Giants posts, but that just adds fun to it, IMO.
    Think of it this was...I don't think there was ever a time where you sit back and think....that was a great decision by Macha. On the other side of things I think there was a time in most games where you'd automatically think wtf is he doing as he made a move..and it usually turned for the worse. Even Howe had some good moments. Macha blamed Beane though for his issues in Oakland with dictating certain issues such as rotations or lineups.

Yeah I don't mind posting gamethreads during some Oakland/SF games that I watch. I usually am unable to watch early start games during the week that start before 6. I try to catch what I can though. Sometimes I bounce between the Giants and A's games when they are on at the same time so i can post in both threads.

Think of it this was...I don't think there was ever a time where you sit back and think....that was a great decision by Macha. On the other side of things I think there was a time in most games where you'd automatically think wtf is he doing as he made a move..and it usually turned for the worse. Even Howe had some good moments. Macha blamed Beane though for his issues in Oakland with dictating certain issues such as rotations or lineups.

Yeah I don't mind posting gamethreads during some Oakland/SF games that I watch. I usually am unable to watch early start games during the week that start before 6. I try to catch what I can though. Sometimes I bounce between the Giants and A's games when they are on at the same time so i can post in both threads.
    Yeah, same with me with NBA games, except it's usually games that start before 7pm. For 6pm games or earlier, I usually catch part of it on the radio, and then sometimes I can watch the last few minutes after I get home.