I went to the SAP Open, which is a tennis tournament in San Jose. This is the last year for the event in San Jose, it's moving to Memphis next year, and the current Memphis event is moving to Rio de Janero.
I went to the exhibition match of:
* Roddick and Gimelstob were miked up. Roddick and Gimelstob had a lot of jokes for each other.
After the first point or two:
Roddick: Hey Justin, what's that thing on your elbow?
Gimelstob: It's an elbow condom. I'm practicing safe sex.
Roddick: I had put the O/U on you for making inappropriate comments at 3 points, and you went with the under.
Here were some other exchanges:
Gimelstob accidentally missed his serve so bad, that it went in the wrong service court, right at Roddick.
Roddick: If you had been able to serve 110mph, that might have gotten me.
* There were many rally exchanges just between Gimelstob and Roddick. During one such point, Graf just walked off the court, and sat on the sideline bench.
While I did think Gimelstob and Roddick were just doing this for entertainment, I did think Graf and Davenport were left out a little too much, of the rallies.
* During another rally, primarily between Davenport and Graf, Roddick pretended his racket was a stool, and he pretended to sit on it.
* During another point, Gimelstob dove on the court for two shots, within the same point. He made both diving shots.
* During another point, Gimelstob asked Graf about her backhand slice, and how she did it. Gimelstob and Graf then preceded to have a 15-20 shot rally, just between them, of nothing but backhand slices. Fun to watch.
Gimelstob: "Oh, so you go under it, like a shovel . . ."
* Gimelstob, to Roddick, after Roddick missed a return: "Graf is thinking that my husband would have made that shot."
* After losing one point, Gimelstob threw his racquet non-nonchalantly. The face of the racquet bounced off a ball kid's head. Gimelstob went over and hugged him and tried to apologize. The kid was all right.
Then, during the next changeover, Gimelstob had the kid sub in for Graf (Gimelstob's opponent). They let the kid play for 2 points. During the 2nd point, he had an overhead opportunity, and he smashed it right at Gimelstob and won the point. The crowd cheered.
I took a pic of the kid playing, he's in the black shirt.
* Roddick, during a Gimelstob service game: "Do not serve like him. You'll pull something."
* Graf had a service game where she kept getting net calls. So both Roddick and Gimelstob went to the net, and pushed it down to lower it, so she could get it over the net without hitting it. Funny stuff.
* Gimelstob and Davenport were up 5-3 in the 2nd set. Gimelstob said, during the next service game, after every point:
"Cmon Lindsey, this might be the only time I can win a set off of Andy Roddick".
"Cmon Graf, this might be the only time I can win a set off of Andy Roddick".
"Cmon Andy, this might be the only time I can win a set off of you".
Gimelstob and Davenport ended up losing the 2nd set, 7-5. They lost both sets.
Amy Gutierrez, of CSN, was the post-match broadcaster.
Overall, this was a fun match, lots of entertaining moments and exchanges. They did everything they could to talk to the audience and make it entertaining.
There was also a non-exhibition doubles match after that, but I only stayed for a few minutes for that one.