Thread: Sacramento has produced

Microphone Master IowaSacKing93's Avatar

Sacramento has produced

one of the finest hip-hop duos in history.

Blackalicious

Some notable songs: (off the first album)

Trouble

Searching

Cliff Hanger:

Deception:

Enjoy

I wonder what other artists are from Sacramento? (Excluding Jerry Reynolds)

Thanks, I'll check these out. A nice surprising positive thread about Sacramento.

I know there's rock artists that Sacramento has produced (I could post them if you're interested), but this is the first I've learned about hop-hop. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    Thanks, I'll check these out. A nice surprising positive thread about Sacramento.

I know there's rock artists that Sacramento has produced (I could post them if you're interested), but this is the first I've learned about hop-hop. Thanks again.
    You made me LoL!

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSacKing93 View Post
    You made me LoL!
    LOL! Funny typo.

Funniest one since PackfanMatt_12 talked about "The Rangers chicness". (was supposed to be "chances")

Or when PackfanMatt_12 called me "Nuts ana".

Or when GoKings2010 talked about "Three For The Count". (Was supposed to be "Three For The Win".)

Or when I said Bartolo Colon had "37 consecutive strikeouts". (Was supposed to be "strikes".)

Or when you had the this for the 2011 WS: World Series Thread - Cardinals vs Rangers (Was originally World Series Thread - Cardinals vs Tigers").

Stripping and putting on a burlesque show while eating flamin' hot Cheetos and stuffing Hy-vee green chips in his belly button, doesn't make him an artist / performer.

one of the finest hip-hop duos in history.

Blackalicious

Some notable songs: (off the first album)

Trouble

Searching

Cliff Hanger:

Deception:

Enjoy

These are all good.

Are they still together? Do they still tour? (I know I could probably look this up, but I'd rather read a post from you.)

A lot of these seemed to transition into a different song / ending, during the last 1-2 minutes. That seems to be their unique style.

I liked the story in Cliff Hanger the best.

Here's a general question. Do duos, trios, and other larger rap and hip-hop groups, last longer (stay together longer) or shorter than solo artists? Just from your observations, or maybe the ones you like. Just like in sports, I'm wondering if some of them can stay together for a long time, or if jealous or creative differences seeps in. I'm sure there's probably cases of both long and short career groups. And I'm sure there are plenty that were cut short by drug ODs or killings. So maybe I'm asking asking a question that doesn't have a distinct answer, but maybe you can still share your thoughts on groups that have lasted a long time that you like.

I wanted to repeat that these guys are talented, they write a good flow.

All of the ones you've listed in these music threads are like that. Much more interesting and less predictable than main stream hip-hop.

This is actually my favorite song by them.

These are all good.

Are they still together? Do they still tour? (I know I could probably look this up, but I'd rather read a post from you.)

A lot of these seemed to transition into a different song / ending, during the last 1-2 minutes. That seems to be their unique style.

I liked the story in Cliff Hanger the best.

Here's a general question. Do duos, trios, and other larger rap and hip-hop groups, last longer (stay together longer) or shorter than solo artists? Just from your observations, or maybe the ones you like. Just like in sports, I'm wondering if some of them can stay together for a long time, or if jealous or creative differences seeps in. I'm sure there's probably cases of both long and short career groups. And I'm sure there are plenty that were cut short by drug ODs or killings. So maybe I'm asking asking a question that doesn't have a distinct answer, but maybe you can still share your thoughts on groups that have lasted a long time that you like.

All of the ones you've listed in these music threads are like that. Much more interesting and less predictable than main stream hip-hop.
    Yeah, they definitely tour but they released albums in 1999, 2001, and 2005. So they aren't releasing albums, on a regular basis anyway. I'm sure there's a chance they might come out with 'one final' album in the next 2-3 years. Groups seem to do that frequently.

Yeah, they aren't a typical hip-hop group. What I like about them is that I consider the production and rapping/flow to both be outstanding (It's hard to find that with a rap group, usually you get one or the other, or a little bit of both. But in this case, Gift of Gab (the rapper) and Chief Xcel (producer) are both great at what they do.

The lyrics are deep too. Look up the the lyrics of 'Shallow Days' (as you listen to the song). I think you'll enjoy.

Great question.

Yeah, you're right. There isn't a distinct answer. For every group that has lasted 10+ years, I'm sure there's a dozen that didn't make it a year, lol. Obviously, success dictates a lot of it too, and chemistry/workability too.

I only mention the latter because Binary Star only released one album (technically two albums, but one was just an enhanced version of the other). This is a rap group made up of Senim Silla and One Be Lo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_the_universe

This is one of the greatest albums ever made. But these two split up after the album citing 'creative differences'. So they worked well together and received good acclaim, but they just didn't have the artistic freedom they wanted. Both have released solo albums since.

It's also tough to define 'stay together'. Groups can release 1-2 albums together, and then members will start to focus on solo work. And then mabye, reunite for another group album. And of course, members leave, join, die etc..

Wu-Tang clan (which has 9 members, one has died and another has joined, so it's always been 9) released two great albums in 1993 and 1997. But in between those years and after those years, individual members released some really good albums as well.

*Tical - Method Man 1993
    *Only built for cuban linx - Raekwon 1995
    *Liquid Swords - GZA 1995
    *Ironman - Ghostface Killah 1996

So it's hard to imagine..but Wu-Tang as a group, and the individual members, from 1993-1997 dropped so many impressive albums. Liquid Swords is one of the greatest ever too.

Wu-Tang also released (less memorable) albums in 2000,2001, and 2007. And of course, individual members have kept releasing individual albums.

So it's kind of cool how that works out.

Another example: Jedi Mind Tricks

Their last two group albums were released in 2008 and 2011.

The rapper from that group, Vinnie Paz, released solo albums in 2010 and 2012.

So I'm sure there's even times where an artist is probably working on two different albums at a time (maybe one for his group and one individual, probably with two different producers and two different labels).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

Some notable groups that have stayed together for atleast 10 years:

Cunninlynguists (A trio from Kentucky, still active)
    Dilated Peoples (West coast group, Evidence has had individual success)
    Jurassic 5 (California group, lasted from 1993-2007, now are making a comeback album) The six piece crew that was formed, came out of the Los Angeles, California Venue called "Good Life".[3] The group broke up in 2007,[4] shortly after releasing their fourth LP Feedback, citing "Musical Differences".[5] The group reformed and played their first show back together at South by Southwest in 2012

A Tribe Called Quest (Arguably the best group from the 90s. Wu-Tang could take that crown as well, but Tribe is better IMO)

Last edited by IowaSacKing93; 02-28-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Modern mainstream rap is a joke. They use the same generic beats that loop over and over. The lyrics are terrible and shallow...there is very little uniqueness. If you're looking for hip-hop music, do not look on the radio...it will scare you away and convince you that the whole genre is terrible lol.

You can't find anything genuine and from the heart unless you dig deep.

What's sad is: In the 90's, the majority of mainstream music was good (There was still good underground sure, but now it's rare to find good music on the radio).

Modern mainstream rap is a joke. They use the same generic beats that loop over and over. The lyrics are terrible and shallow...there is very little uniqueness. If you're looking for hip-hop music, do not look on the radio...it will scare you away and convince you that the whole genre is terrible lol.

You can't find anything genuine and from the heart unless you dig deep.

What's sad is: In the 90's, the majority of mainstream music was good (There was still good underground sure, but now it's rare to find good music on the radio).
    Yeah, I liked mainstream rap more then.

And the generic beats annoy me, and yes, the lyrics are shallow.

I'll get back to this thread in a few days (there's a lot of good info in this thread).

LOL! Funny typo.

Funniest one since PackfanMatt_12 talked about "The Rangers chicness". (was supposed to be "chances")

Or when PackfanMatt_12 called me "Nuts ana".

Or when GoKings2010 talked about "Three For The Count". (Was supposed to be "Three For The Win".)

Or when I said Bartolo Colon had "37 consecutive strikeouts". (Was supposed to be "strikes".)

Or when you had the this for the 2011 WS: World Series Thread - Cardinals vs Rangers (Was originally World Series Thread - Cardinals vs Tigers").
    I remember all of those, except the first one.

And we can't forget 'ditch'

I remember all of those, except the first one.

Here's the chicness one, it was from PackfanMatt_12's 2012 MLB preview. It's still there too!

http://247sportszone.blogspot.com/20...n-preview.html

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

*2.) Texas Rangers: (90-72)
    2011 Season: (96-66) 1st in AL West
    Team Preview:
    -The Rangers have accomplished quite a lot in the past 2 years, making back to back World Series appearances but falling short both times. The Rangers have always had a fabulous offense with power spread out across the lineup. Their weakness over the years though has been their rotation, and that took a bigger hit with the departure of C.J Wilson. Now as they press on towards 2012 they will have to rely upon Colby Lewis, Derek Holland and the 25 year old star out of Japan Yu Darvish. The Rangers chicness this year come down to how Darvish can handle major league hitting, and if Derek Holland is ready to take the next step as a No.2 guy, but unfortunately for the Rangers, they have been passed by the Angels, and may have to fight for the AL West.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

He had the A's at 68 wins!!!

And we can't forget 'ditch'

Yup! That was Kings4Ever18. Good one.

Here's the chicness one, it was from PackfanMatt_12's 2012 MLB preview. It's still there too!

http://247sportszone.blogspot.com/20...n-preview.html

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

*2.) Texas Rangers: (90-72)
    2011 Season: (96-66) 1st in AL West
    Team Preview:
    -The Rangers have accomplished quite a lot in the past 2 years, making back to back World Series appearances but falling short both times. The Rangers have always had a fabulous offense with power spread out across the lineup. Their weakness over the years though has been their rotation, and that took a bigger hit with the departure of C.J Wilson. Now as they press on towards 2012 they will have to rely upon Colby Lewis, Derek Holland and the 25 year old star out of Japan Yu Darvish. The Rangers chicness this year come down to how Darvish can handle major league hitting, and if Derek Holland is ready to take the next step as a No.2 guy, but unfortunately for the Rangers, they have been passed by the Angels, and may have to fight for the AL West.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

He had the A's at 68 wins!!!

Yup! That was Kings4Ever18. Good one.
    MLB seems to be the toughest pro sport when it comes to forecasting the season imo.

Teams that are supposed to win 60-70 games could win 90-100. And vice-versa.

The season is so long, and there are so many variables...injuries, call-ups, some guys have off-months or even off-seasons. 'Luck' has probably the biggest impact (out of the big four pro sports) in baseball too.

I know the Nationals are an upcoming team, but the year they had last year was pretty shocking.

The Marlins were supposed to be halfway decent, and they sucked for the majority of the season.

Phillies struggled mightily on the end.

The Padres having that breakout year a few years back was unprecedented. A bunch of things went right for them that year. And now they've returned to mediocrity.

There are just so many moving parts on these teams (or organizations if you're looking at the bigger picture).

MLB seems to be the toughest pro sport when it comes to forecasting the season imo.

Teams that are supposed to win 60-70 games could win 90-100. And vice-versa.

The season is so long, and there are so many variables...injuries, call-ups, some guys have off-months or even off-seasons. 'Luck' has probably the biggest impact (out of the big four pro sports) in baseball too.

I know the Nationals are an upcoming team, but the year they had last year was pretty shocking.

The Marlins were supposed to be halfway decent, and they sucked for the majority of the season.

Phillies struggled mightily on the end.

The Padres having that breakout year a few years back was unprecedented. A bunch of things went right for them that year. And now they've returned to mediocrity.

There are just so many moving parts on these teams (or organizations if you're looking at the bigger picture).
    I agree.

So, even if you knew it was coming, did you think the "chicness" typo was funny?

(I know, I'll get back to the real content of this thread, at some point.

I'm trying to quick-post lately, For me.)

(I know, I'll get back to the real content of this thread, at some point.

I'm trying to quick-post lately, For me.)
    You know either of us cant stay on track in any thread, lol

I agree.

So, even if you knew it was coming, did you think the "chicness" typo was funny?
    Yes.

Yes.
    I'm just picturing Derek Holland, Ron Washington, and Josh Hamilton, doing their best do look fashionable (chic), for a Rangers parade.

And that makes me laugh.