Thread: NHL Realignment discussion.

NHL Realignment discussion.

Adam (Arizona )

Hi Wilbon, Are you okay with the new NHL realignment plan with Winnipeg moving West and Columbus + Detroit moving east?
    mike wilbon (2:07 PM)

I do NOT like it because it would break up the Red Wings-Blackhawks rivalry which is one of the league's best, maybe the best one in the Western Conference. I understand the need to realign and also get costs under control...BUT whatever you do with Detroit the NHL needs to do with Chicago. No?

Adam (Arizona)

I completely agree with that the NHL shouldn't split up Detroit/Chicago rivalry. I just don't see them sending Nashville east or the never ending rumor Quebec City gets an expansion team.
    mike wilbon (2:15 PM)

thanks for that! And Quebec City, to me, should have a team.

I think the realignment is fair for geographic reasons. Detroit has wanted to go to the east for a while. The realignment makes some things easier and more sensible. I do agree it you lose rivalries, but it will encourage others to replace them. Detroit versus Pitts or NY for example.

The biggest change that I like is that with 2 divisions over 3....you get the best teams in. Sometimes the best team in one division is the 6th-7th best team in the conference, but wind up being the #3 so the matchups are off. Then they get swept in the first round anyway. Now you get better matchups and make sure the best teams get in.

The only downer for a team like the Sharks is that you have 3 Canadian teams in the division. That's a lot of border crossing!

So they're cutting it from 3 divisions per conference to 2? Agree with the playoffs implications, seems more fair.

I'm not that big of a fan of divisions in sports anyways, they just seem artificial. I just like watching the best teams in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    So they're cutting it from 3 divisions per conference to 2? Agree with the playoffs implications, seems more fair.

I'm not that big of a fan of divisions in sports anyways, they just seem artificial. I just like watching the best teams in the playoffs.
    Yep they are going with 2 divisions per conference. The team adjustments are to cut down travel time. The only two teams moving conferences are Columbus and Detroit...both teams really wanted to move and makes sense geographically. I don't mind it at all and like you said the division thing was never relevent and sets up better playoff matchups.

I just want to be able to get hockey on tv without having to search it.