Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combine's importance discussion.

Combine's importance discussion.

Drew (Bloomsburg)

Do you care about the NFL Combine? Watch any of it? I find it boring.
    mike wilbon (2:18 PM)

No. I can't watch it. I LOVE listening to Bill Polian. I think he's the smartest football man of our time, maybe on the short list ever. I want to hear him and then I turn it off. I have no interest in it. Too inexact. Too many guys show up as good players as rookies and somebody has to explain why the combine didn't catch them. So I don't get it.

Bryan (Springdale, AR)

Do you consider the NFL making calendar adjustments to the combine and draft a bully-type move to the other sports, or just smart marketing, or both?
    mike wilbon (2:20 PM)

Both. Great question. The NFL has the smartest marketing plan/execution of anybody. And the NFL is a bigger bully than anybody. They'll try to force this 18-game schedule down the players' throats, and the NFLPA might sell out, even though the NFL talks out one side of its mouth about player safety.

Ritij (Virginia)

Roger Goodell reportedly made around the ballpark of $30 million last season, isn't that a bit ridiculous? What good has he done for the NFL outside of the player conduct policies and advances in concussion testing?
    mike wilbon (2:24 PM)

He's done a lot...Seriously, he has. But $30 mil? I don't see it. I don't.

Jerry Rice (Hall of Fame)

I run a 40 yard dash slower than most. Why am I in the Hall of Fame?
    mike wilbon (2:32 PM)

That's right, Jerry Rice has your NFL Combine right here!

Combine is really for small school guys to prove they are just as talented as players from Alabama, LSU, Notre Dame, etc.

Also players show they are healthy, run a few drills

http://bourgeoiscreme.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/D-Cousins.jpg

Thanks.

So if just focusing on players from small schools, what % do you think show that they were better than expected, at the combine, and what % do you think show they're not as good as scouts thought they were?

Do you think there's an overall positive net factor, for players from small schools?

What players are you scouting from small schools, and which have been better than you thought, and which worse than you thought?

Also, can you post whether you like or dislike the Sandoval 3 HR shirt?

Great Sandoval shirt.

Microphone Master IowaSacKing93's Avatar
    The combine is just an opportunity for someone to put himself on the map. Perform well, and you'll probably get bumped up a round (and a bump in that rookie contract).

But there's so many guys that perform well at the combine, and never develop.

Raw physical skills such as straight-line speed, vertical, foot quickness are obviously central to any football player...but there's so much, from an intangible and mental standpoint, that also determines a players success. Not to mention: The team he's on, the coach, the coordinator, the 52 other guys on the team, the owners, the team's philosophy/aggressiveness...and just someone's ability to perform on gameday, or in the clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSacKing93 View Post
    The combine is just an opportunity for someone to put himself on the map. Perform well, and you'll probably get bumped up a round (and a bump in that rookie contract).

But there's so many guys that perform well at the combine, and never develop.

Raw physical skills such as straight-line speed, vertical, foot quickness are obviously central to any football player...but there's so much, from an intangible and mental standpoint, that also determines a players success. Not to mention: The team he's on, the coach, the coordinator, the 52 other guys on the team, the owners, the team's philosophy/aggressiveness...and just someone's ability to perform on gameday, or in the clutch.
    Do you think it's kind of like the NBA, where someone can look shooting unguarded in a gym, but it's much different seeing them work as part of a 5 man unit? (11 man unit for football, but same principle)?

Someone can look running or tackling dummies in the workout, but ability to do the same with his teammates is still a different environment?

OT: I've been trying to center my new signature pic...but haven't been able to. Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    Do you think it's kind of like the NBA, where someone can look shooting unguarded in a gym, but it's much different seeing them work as part of a 5 man unit? (11 man unit for football, but same principle)?

Someone can look running or tackling dummies in the workout, but ability to do the same with his teammates is still a different environment?
    Yeah, exactly.

OT: I've been trying to center my new signature pic...but haven't been able to. Any tips?
    Choose a new pic?

Choose a new pic?

That last one is hilarious.

I will choose that first one If you dont mind :P

He's one of the leading all-time shot blockers in Kings history, so here's a blocked shot pic:

The next one's too small, sorry.

That last one is hilarious.

I will choose that first one If you dont mind :P

I think the next 5 I posted had some funny ones too.

He's one of the leading all-time shot blockers in Kings history, so here's a blocked shot pic:

The next one's too small, sorry.

Nice, relevant pics.

The one of him stuffing Gasol is badass, just because Gasol is much bigger, and it seems he's got a painful look on his face lol.

on second glance, it looks like Gasol is expecting a big shit...

on second glance, it looks like Gasol is expecting a big shit...
    Too much Memphis BBQ before the game.

OT, but a radio station once had an "In Depends Day" contest, during the 4th of July.

Men had to wear diapers (I guess Depends maxi pads), and take a dump in them. Whichever weighed the most, that guy won.

I didn't check to hear who won, or how they determined the winner. It was gross. But I was curious what type of people would submit themselves for that.

I forgot what the prize was, but it was probably just concert tickets. To me, that's not that special. It would have to be an autographed musical instrument, at least.

Too much Memphis BBQ before the game.

OT, but a radio station once had an "In Depends Day" contest, during the 4th of July.

Men had to wear diapers (I guess Depends maxi pads), and take a dump in them. Whichever weighed the most, that guy won.

I didn't check to hear who won, or how they determined the winner. It was gross. But I was curious what type of people would submit themselves for that.

I forgot what the prize was, but it was probably just concert tickets. To me, that's not that special. It would have to be an autographed musical instrument, at least.
    That's a shitty contest..

That's a shitty contest..

I wonder why they limited it to men.

I mean, does it matter if the diaper / maxi pad load of pooh came from a man or woman?

Let's assume the time period was one hour, just because I doubt people would want to wear those things in public for much longer. And since you had to wear them in front of the contest judges, I doubt the judges would want to be stuck watching the participants for more than an hour, I'm sure they had better things to do.

You might have had to ask permission to use the bathroom, so as to prevent cheating (either putting an artificial object to weigh it down, or worse yet, adding someone else's waste to it).

I'm sure the participants had their change of underwear ready to wear, after the time limit.

I'm trying to think if maybe there was some legal reason as to not wanting to risk indecent exposure, to limiting it to men. But I can't think of a reason, since the same diaper would be big enough to cover a man or woman. There might have been a hygienic reason, as in the risk of getting pooh in a vagina could lead to anything worse than pooh smashed against a guy's stuff.

Anyways, I think I'm going to email the radio station (assuming I'm remembering the right one), and ask if they did have a contest like that sometime from 2004-2007; ask if they had a pic of the winner; and ask if they did limit it to men, and if so, why. This is going to be one weird email! I wonder if I'll get a response. If the station manager receiving the email has no idea what I'm talking about, they'll think I'm weird. Haha.