Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 125

Thread: This weekend's recipe.

  1. #81
    Super Moderator nuraman00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    32,176
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaSacKing93 View Post
    Do you like torturing chickens for a living?

    Jk. Looks good

    And how come you only used half a cup of salt for an entire chicken? Did you notice a difference in flavor from before, or no?
    That's what I used last time too.

    That's what the suggested recipe said, so that's what I went with, both times.

    I don't think I notice a difference, if there is, it's probably very slight. I might like this one even more.

    BTW, the half cup of salt is for the brining part (where you put it in a gallon of water and salt for 8-24 hours). For the seasoning, 1 tablespoon of salt is enough. I don't know if you've ever poured half a cup of salt out, but it's a lot.

    The total seasoning that goes on the chicken is only about 3-4 table spoons worth, but it's enough to cover the entire chicken.













  2. #82
    Super Moderator nuraman00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    32,176
    This will be Tuesday's recipe.

    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/al-kabs...10=1&e7=Recipe

    EDIT: I can't find dried lime powder. Not in stores I've called, nor online. Forget it.

    I did see something on Amazon for $20, but it's not worth that much to me.













  3. #83
    Super Moderator nuraman00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    32,176
    Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    This will be Tuesday's recipe.

    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/al-kabs...10=1&e7=Recipe

    EDIT: I can't find dried lime powder. Not in stores I've called, nor online. Forget it.

    I did see something on Amazon for $20, but it's not worth that much to me.
    I got the dried limes from the Persian grocery store. I'm back baby!













  4. #84
    Microphone Master IowaSacKing93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Sewer
    Posts
    7,809
    Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    I got the dried limes from the Persian grocery store. I'm back baby!
    So is the chicken supposed to be real spicy then? I'm not too familiar with Arabic cuisine.

    And I want to see a picture of the dish, not some smug man standing next to a car dealership






  5. #85
    Microphone Master IowaSacKing93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Sewer
    Posts
    7,809
    Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    I got the dried limes from the Persian grocery store. I'm back baby!
    Sweet. You shouldn't pay $20 for a spice you'll probably only use once.






  6. #86
    Super Moderator nuraman00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    32,176
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaSacKing93 View Post
    So is the chicken supposed to be real spicy then? I'm not too familiar with Arabic cuisine.

    And I want to see a picture of the dish, not some smug man standing next to a car dealership
    There was a pic of the dish when I clicked on it.

    I have no idea if it's supposed to be spicy. Never at this at a restaurant before either. I'm not familiar with Arabic cuisine. But I'll about trying something different.

    Here's the pic, it was on the site, they had 2 photos. You just had to click on the 2nd one:

    .













  7. #87
    Super Moderator nuraman00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    32,176
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaSacKing93 View Post
    Sweet. You shouldn't pay $20 for a spice you'll probably only use once.
    It depends on how much I like the dish. If I like a lot, it will be "in the rotation", so I'll make it a few times a year.

    But yeah, the $20 online price for the dried limes is why I didn't want to make it earlier. Way too much.

    At the Persian grocery store, it was $3 for a 4oz back of dried limes.

    However, I did have to buy 2 expensive spices:

    * Saffron. I'd never cooked with Saffron. But it's expensive. It cost $7.50 for 0.2 grams (.007 oz) of Saffron. Here's a pic of what saffron looks like:



    I do see it's a little cheaper online, I can now find 0.7 grams for $9.

    * Cardamom. Again, I've never cooked with cardamom before. But a 2 oz jar cost $11. At least 2 oz is a pretty good amount, it should last a few years. And while I've never made anything with it before, there could be something in the future.


    But I wanted to make this, so I bought them. Hopefully it's good.













  8. #88
    Microphone Master IowaSacKing93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Sewer
    Posts
    7,809
    Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    It depends on how much I like the dish. If I like a lot, it will be "in the rotation", so I'll make it a few times a year.

    But yeah, the $20 online price for the dried limes is why I didn't want to make it earlier. Way too much.

    At the Persian grocery store, it was $3 for a 4oz back of dried limes.

    However, I did have to buy 2 expensive spices:

    * Saffron. I'd never cooked with Saffron. But it's expensive. It cost $7.50 for 0.2 grams (.007 oz) of Saffron. Here's a pic of what saffron looks like:



    I do see it's a little cheaper online, I can now find 0.7 grams for $9.

    * Cardamom. Again, I've never cooked with cardamom before. But a 2 oz jar cost $11. At least 2 oz is a pretty good amount, it should last a few years. And while I've never made anything with it before, there could be something in the future.


    But I wanted to make this, so I bought them. Hopefully it's good.
    At those prices, are you sure it doesn't have any recrational value? Lol, jk.






  9. #89
    Microphone Master IowaSacKing93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Sewer
    Posts
    7,809
    Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    There was a pic of the dish when I clicked on it.

    I have no idea if it's supposed to be spicy. Never at this at a restaurant before either. I'm not familiar with Arabic cuisine. But I'll about trying something different.

    Here's the pic, it was on the site, they had 2 photos. You just had to click on the 2nd one:

    .
    It's too small. Can't see anything in detail.

    I'll try the website for a larger version.






  10. #90
    Microphone Master IowaSacKing93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Sewer
    Posts
    7,809
    http://food.sndimg.com/img/recipes/2.../piczmdy8l.jpg

    This looks familiar. There is definitely some Mediterranean influence in this

    So what is that stuff sprinkled on top, I noticed it's also in the picture you posted.






  11. #91
    Microphone Master IowaSacKing93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Sewer
    Posts
    7,809
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9RhbJswSl7...0/IMGP0409.JPG

    I guess it's cashews and/or almonds?

    It looks good






  12. #92
    Super Moderator nuraman00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    32,176
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaSacKing93 View Post
    http://food.sndimg.com/img/recipes/2.../piczmdy8l.jpg

    This looks familiar. There is definitely some Mediterranean influence in this

    So what is that stuff sprinkled on top, I noticed it's also in the picture you posted.
    Slivered almonds.














  13. #93
    Super Moderator nuraman00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    32,176
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaSacKing93 View Post
    At those prices, are you sure it doesn't have any recrational value? Lol, jk.


    Hopefully it's one of those things where you only need a little, and it lasts for 1-2 years.













  14. #94
    Administrator Sir Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    54,501
    yeah...I'm pretty sure that lime powder is used in areas where actual limes are tough to get..
    the powder is a substitute for lime juice













  15. #95
    Super Moderator nuraman00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    32,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Harry View Post
    yeah...I'm pretty sure that lime powder is used in areas where actual limes are tough to get..
    the powder is a substitute for lime juice
    Dang. I could have just used fresh lime juice then, lol.













  16. #96
    Administrator Sir Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    54,501
    that's probably why lime powder is tough to find,....not much need for it in these parts

    lemon or lime zest would also work













  17. #97
    Microphone Master IowaSacKing93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Sewer
    Posts
    7,809
    Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post


    Hopefully it's one of those things where you only need a little, and it lasts for 1-2 years.
    Whatever helps you sleep at night







  18. #98
    Super Moderator nuraman00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    32,176
    It was ok. I don't know if I would make it again. It's good enough to eat, but not a favorite. I put way less saffron then recommended (because of how strong it smelled, and how little there was in the container I bought). But it still had a strong presence.
    Attached Images Attached Images






  19. #99
    Super Moderator nuraman00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    32,176
    Past few weeks, everything I've made has just been "ok".

    Hoping to change that with this, this week (stock photo):

    http://www.chow.com/recipes/29762-ch...inger-clay-pot














  20. #100
    Super Moderator nuraman00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    32,176
    Here's the clay pot chicken.

    It was good, I'd make it again.







Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •