Thread: Movie: The Big Heat.

Movie: The Big Heat.

I've been searching for this movie for a few weeks. I just found the entire movie on YouTube.

I want to watch it because it was playing in the background in Breaking Bad, when Hank searched Mike's house.

I want to see if there's any parallels between the main character in that movie, and Hank, and another character, and Walt.

The following few articles contain quick mentions of possible parallels.

http://theeasyconfidence.tumblr.com/...e-mike-endures

http://www.yidio.com/news/breaking-b...er-movies-7204

The clip was removed from YouTube, but I found this channel which has the movie split up into 10 parts:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL729BADADB31600C0

Going to start it now.

This movie has great lines. One might think that since it's from the 50s, it sounds dated. But it flows well.

A detective interrogates a bar tender. The detective doesn't get answers, and leaves.

The bar tender then goes into a phone booth, and tells the unknown person at the other end of the line that the detective stopped by, but that the bar tender didn't tell him anything. The bar tender then hangs up.

Right when he gets out of the phone booth, the detective, who had been secretly standing near by, said, "ok, who'd you call?"

Bar tender: "My mother".

Detective: "Would you rather we continue this downtown?"

Bar tender: "Would YOU rather answer questions downtown as to why you brought me, when you've already been told twice to drop the case?"

Detective: "Word travels fast."

Bar Tender: "I have my pigeons".

Detective: "I won't bring you back now. But the next time I'm back, I'll have the answers and have enough to shut down this place. You can go tell that to your 'mother'".

IowaSacKing93, what do you think of this sequence? Pretty good, right? It doesn't sound too old-fashioned.

Here's another example of a great line:

Police Department head, to detective: "Turn in your badge and gun".

(Detective hands in his badge).

PD Department head: "And your gun . . .?"

Detective: "The gun is mine, not the department's. I bought and paid for it."

So, on a side note, I've been wondering why the detective still has a baby carriage (that the movie has made a point of showing), when his daughter is 5 years old.

Microphone Master IowaSacKing93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    This movie has great lines. One might think that since it's from the 50s, it sounds dated. But it flows well.

A detective interrogates a bar tender. The detective doesn't get answers, and leaves.

The bar tender then goes into a phone booth, and tells the unknown person at the other end of the line that the detective stopped by, but that the bar tender didn't tell him anything. The bar tender then hangs up.

Right when he gets out of the phone booth, the detective, who had been secretly standing near by, said, "ok, who'd you call?"

Bar tender: "My mother".

Detective: "Would you rather we continue this downtown?"

Bar tender: "Would YOU rather answer questions downtown as to why you brought me, when you've already been told twice to drop the case?"

Detective: "Word travels fast."

Bar Tender: "I have my pigeons".

Detective: "I won't bring you back now. But the next time I'm back, I'll have the answers and have enough to shut down this place. You can go tell that to your 'mother'".

IowaSacKing93, what do you think of this sequence? Pretty good, right? It doesn't sound too old-fashioned.
    Yeah, it sounds good, but I'm a little confused about the pigeons? Why would he say that, is that slang for something else (that was used during that time period)?

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSacKing93 View Post
    Yeah, it sounds good, but I'm a little confused about the pigeons? Why would he say that, is that slang for something else (that was used during that time period)?
    In the old days, like say during WW1 or WW2, pigeons were used to carry messages from one point to another. I think they would carry a note, and then fly to the destination, and drop it off to the recipient.

So when the bar tender said "I have my pigeons", I think he was using an analogy that "I have my way of getting information about what's been happening down at the police department".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_pigeon