Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Potential Parade Thread.

Followup to # 3: Ok, watching the broadcast, when Renelle mentioned the "broadcast partners", and mentioned CSN, I can see now that they were just referring to the broadcast of the parade.

Hence they didn't mention KNBR 680 because they didn't broadcast it on the radio. Or at least I don't think they did, I don't know.

Followup to # 2:

Ok, I can kind of see why they introduced Huff at city hall, but not Freddy Sanchez. Huff actually played this year, while Freddy did not. (Neither did Brian Wilson but he's too big of a presence to ignore).

However, they didn't introduce Burriss. Burriss had 150 PAs this year. But they introduced Jean Machi, someone who pitched 6.2 innings.

Again, if they could acknowledge Theriot, who wasn't here, they could have done the same for someone like Burriss. That's too inconsistent.

They introduced Eli Whiteside, but not Dan Runzler.

Ok, the T-shirt that has all of the players has Shane Loux, Brad Penny, and Justin Christian.

If they were on the shirt roster, they should have been acknowledged. Those guys all played too.

Hmm, the shirt lists 33 players. I tried counting how many were introduced, and I had 30, but felt I lost track a little bit. Maybe they did name everyone. I'll have to rewatch it and make sure.

The parade cost $1M.

+++++++++++++

http://sfappeal.com/news/2012/11/gia...he-numbers.php

Here are the players on the Giants roster shirt. I noticed Wilson wasn't on.

I'm now going to compare with the names that were announced.

++++++++++++++++

SF Giants Players on Roster Shirt:

Affeldt
    Bumgarner
    Cain
    Cassilla
    Henlsey
    Kontos
    Lincecum
    Lopez
    Loux
    Machi
    Mijares
    Mota
    Penny
    Romo
    Vogelsong
    Wilson
    Zito

Posey
    Sanchez

Arias
    Belt
    Crawford
    Huff
    Pill
    Sandoval
    Scuataro
    Theriot

Blanco
    Christian
    Nady
    Pagan
    Pence

SF Giants Players on Roster Shirt not acknowledged during the ceremony:

Loux
    Penny
    Pill
    Christian

Players acknowledged during ceremony but not on shirt:

Francisco Peguero
    Eli Whiteside

Players Missing (but acknowledged during Game 1 of the NLDS):

Freddy Sanchez
    Dan Runzler
    Emmanuel Burriss

Others:

Melky Cabrera
    Nate Scherholtz

Went to the ceremony. I didn't go to the one two years ago.

Pics:

http://imgur.com/a/AaZlr#0

The costumes:

* I saw someone wearing a taco costume, with "Angel Pagan" on one side, and "Doritos Locos Tacos" on the other. Because of Pagan's stolen base, Taco Bell gave away free Doritos Locos tacos a few days ago.

* I saw someone wearing a Cody Ross shirt, and I think it was autographed too. I took a pic.

Parade / Ceremony:

* I got to city hall at 9am. While I still found a decent spot in the grassy area in front of city hall, there would not have been any room for me to use a chair or blanket, had I brought one. It was that packed. At least not from where I was, about 20-30 rows back. I would have had to have been 50-80 rows back to find enough open space for a blanket or chair then. A few people in front of me must have gotten there earlier, as they had blankets to sit on or chairs.

* There were a few video screens, where they showed the CSN broadcast of the parade coverage starting at 10:30am and actual parade at 11am. So the crowd reacted to that.

* They had convertibles instead of cable cars this year. Both the players and fans liked this better, as the players could see and interact with the fans more. Matt Cain was in a car driven by Alex Smith, and Brandon Belt was driven by Jim Harbaugh. Both 49ers were interviewed and talked about their fondness for the Giants. Smith talked about how he liked playing at the charity golf event in Feb. with Cain.

* The parade was supposed to end at 12:30, but it didn't until about 1:20pm. And the city hall ceremony was supposed to start at 12:30pm, but it didn't until about 1:30pm. The ceremony went until 3pm.

* Sergio Romo was wearing a shirt that said "I just look illegal".

http://colorlines.com/assets_c/2012/...xauto-7041.jpg

30 minutes before the end of the parade, he ditched his car and went up to the fans on the sides and interacted with them.

* I noticed that Lincecum, Pagan, and Wilson were some players that didn't appear to have any Giants clothing or orange clothing on.

* Affelt had his kids in the car, and he talked about how he had a kid born during each WS year for him (2007 with Colorado; 2010 and 2012 with the Giants). Blanco's son was also wearing a "Gregor Blanco Jr." jersey and his cute son was a hit with the crowd.

* There was too much Larry Baer. Baer was interviewed at least twice during the parade, and he spoke at least twice during the ceremony. I would suggest confining it to once each.

* There were 3-4 politicians that spoke during the parade, but they are representing the city so they have to say something IMO. I liked the orange blazer the mayor had.

http://www.asianweek.com/wp-content/...y-Parade-3.jpg

* I was bothered that Barry Bonds wasn't mentioned at all. Not during the parade nor ceremony. Most of the other past Giants greats (including Will Clark this time) were not only mentioned, but were at the parade and ceremony and acknowledged. Given that he was "frozen out" in 2010 too, that's disappointing.

* Baer said he's going to give rings to some of the past good Giants teams that didn't win. (I don't know if he meant teams or players).

* Before the ceremony started, they played the South Korean rap song "Gangnam Style" on the video board. This was not shown on the broadcast. Then, during the ceremony, broadcasters John Miller and Dave Flemming had a bit about that song, and danced. While it was funny, that's not really why I was there, and that song/bit had little to do with the Giants. It felt out of place.

* The mayor not only presented a key to the city to the team, but also a "ceremonial broom" due to the sweep.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_as...55065856.0.jpg

* They had Tony Bennett come out and sing "I Left My Heart In San Francisco" at the end. That was nice and fitting, since they actually play his song after every home Giants win.

* Overall, it was ok. I wish they hadn't been so late with the events, as standing for 6 hours in one spot is tough, and I had planned to leave at 2pm (but stayed). I think it's a little better if you're there in person, and being part of the crowd, but you can watch it on the broadcast and not feel a dropoff too, you don't have to be there. Also, only Romo got out of the car, and only 1-2 others really extended themselves and reached out to the fans. I'm not saying they were distant. It's just that when I reviewed what happened at the 2010 parade, a few more players got out of the cars and interacted. This time, most just furiously waved, and only Romo got out. So I think if you're not at the front row on either side of the parade route, or if you're not very close to the ceremonies, then you probably won't have much interaction with the players or notice some special moments, and you can probably watch it on TV.

And I think they could have organized the politicians, and Larry Baer, so that they only had one turn each, instead of repeated ones.

Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    Vogelsong said the team's rallying cry during the season was "You're going to jail". But he said he wouldn't tell us the rest, and that we'd have to figure it out for ourselves.

Is the punch line to that " . .. because we're going to lock you up"?
    Thoughts?

nice. i realize there was no chance I could have gone to the parade and made it back for class

http://bourgeoiscreme.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/D-Cousins.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PackfanMatt_12 View Post
    nice. i realize there was no chance I could have gone to the parade and made it back for class
    Yeah. The Parade part was late and ran until 1:30pm, and the ceremony at City Hall until 3pm.

Thoughts on the Vogelsong rally cry, and the incident it referred to? I reposted the article about it in #27.

And thoughts about the Bonds omission, both in the 2010 parade, and in 2012?

I am fine with no Bonds mention. That egotistical moron can go buy a ring on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by PackfanMatt_12 View Post
    I am fine with no Bonds mention. That egotistical moron can go buy a ring on eBay
    Thanks.

And the Vogelsong thing? That's a topic that would (and was) discussed on talk radio.

Nice pics! Man, I wish I would have went. I watched a lot of videos people put up and it looked awesome.

Honestly Vogey can say what he wants that club motto is a clubhouse thing, they can enjoy knowing what it means. Anyone who gets upset over it really should calm down

Microphone Master IowaSacKing93's Avatar
    So why is one fan dressed as a taco with 'Angel Pagan' written on the taco?[/B]

I light up the jar under the light of the stars
    And write a few bars until the silence dissolves

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSacKing93 View Post
    So why is one fan dressed as a taco with 'Angel Pagan' written on the taco?
    Other than game 1, did you watch the other WS games?

If any player stole a base, Taco Bell was giving away free Doritos Locos tacos, after the WS.

Angel Pagan stole the base.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...-bell/1669339/

From my recap:

Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post

The costumes:

* I saw someone wearing a taco costume, with "Angel Pagan" on one side, and "Doritos Locos Tacos" on the other. Because of Pagan's stolen base, Taco Bell gave away free Doritos Locos tacos a few days ago.