Page 4 of 165 FirstFirst 123456789101454104 ... LastLast

Thread: M.L.B. 2013

He's under contract for 2013, it's just that his salary is yet to be determined. When you only have so many years of MLB service (unless you sign a deal in that time) you have arbitrational years which essentially allow players to get a "fair" salary comparative to other players their age with similar numbers.

Pence I believe is entering his last year of arbitrational eligibility so unless he and the Giants can agree to a long term deal, they'll either agree to a salary for the upcoming season or if they can't they'll have an arbitrational hearing. Given his previous salary and essentially you're pretty much do for a raise in most scenarios, it's expected it'll be about $13-14 million for a one year deal. When you run out of aribriational years (I think it's up to six years?) then you no longer have that right to "fight" for money on your one year deal.

Teams can also "buy out" arbitration years to avoid this, like the Giants did with Bumgarner (and what they'll do with Posey) by giving them a "normal" contract.

Well, he better more triple-hit swings next year. He could look really bad at the plate at times. More so than Torres or Uribe. I thought the latter two were more consistent.

I know this is a dumb way of looking at it, but I would rather have Beltran for what they will pay Pence next year. But that didn't materialize last offseason.

Not really sure what happened to Pence, honestly.

The guy has a good career history but just fell off the face of the earth last year. He was pretty bad in Philly and then just got worse with the Giants. He's always been a +2, +3, +4 WAR player which is high level, so, the fact he just faceplanted was weird.

Yeah I remember liking his numbers in Houston and Philly from 2011.

Microphone Master IowaSacKing93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eze View Post
    Not really sure what happened to Pence, honestly.

The guy has a good career history but just fell off the face of the earth last year. He was pretty bad in Philly and then just got worse with the Giants. He's always been a +2, +3, +4 WAR player which is high level, so, the fact he just faceplanted was weird.
    I don't want to be the pessimist here, but what about the chance of roiding?

But off years happen a lot in baseball. It seems that with relief pitchers especially (There's many RP's that are consistently good year in and out, but there's many that have one or two really good years, and then the rest of their career is composed of mediocre or bad seasons). Obviously Pence isn't a RP but he's a guy who's in his prime so it is a little odd. But, if anything, next year will tell us more.

Anything is possible, but, he looked so lost at the plate last year. You could tell him you were throwing him a slider and the location and he'd still miss it by a good six inches.

I know it will sound crazy, I think plenty of his struggles had to do with moving cities for the second time in a year. This was just a totally different place for him, and he tried to force things. I think he will bounce back next year

http://bourgeoiscreme.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/D-Cousins.jpg

I'm sure the "TMZ YOU ARE OUR SAVIOR" crap the Giants pulled didn't help either. I mean really - who the hell has a camera jammed in their face soon as they get out of the towncar? lol

Hey, PackfanMatt_12 hasn't been updating this thread. Here's some news that's days old (I'll uupdate the OP later):

* Blue Jays get Dickey:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

* A's sign Nakajima:

http://www.sfgate.com/athletics/arti...op-4126130.php

I hope Cespedes and Nakajima bat near each other in the lineup. And both produce well. That might be fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    I hope Cespedes and Nakajima bat near each other in the lineup. And both produce well. That might be fun to watch.
    There is a good chance that will happen. Nakajima may be batting second behind Coco, and right in front of Cespedes.

Fartolo was with the club today and everyone had positive things to say. Nakajima went out of his way to greet him. In related news, there was a hamburger shortage within a 150 mile radius of the A's practice facility.

A's trade Chris Carter, Max Stassi, Brad Peacock for RP Franco Rodriguez and SS Jed Lowrie
    Indians signed Nick Swisher (months ago) and today Michael Bourn (4 year 48M)

Spring Training has begun

I bought a Lindy's 2013 MLB preview magazine today. Hopefully I can get caught up with all the offseason transactions.

Who is ready for FUJIKAWAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSacKing93 View Post
    I bought a Lindy's 2013 MLB preview magazine today. Hopefully I can get caught up with all the offseason transactions.

Is he your new favorite player, like Fukodome was a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSacKing93 View Post

Can you post stuff from the magazine? I mean, if there's something quick that you can post. I'd probably like stuff like that.

King Felix signed a 7 year 17M deal the biggest ever for a P. BUT deal is on hold as concerns over his elbow come up

Still can't believe Kyle Lohse is available

Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    Can you post stuff from the magazine? I mean, if there's something quick that you can post. I'd probably like stuff like that.
    They have some cool features for every team.

*Top 3 prospects, they also list the teams first round picks from the last 5 years, and how far those players have progressed
    *They have a scout who breaks down each players tendencies or habits at the plate. It's just like a two-sentence tidbit on each player..but they're interesting to me
    *They have projected stat leaders for 2013, leaders in HR, RBI, AVG, and SB, Wins, and ERA I believe (team-by-team).

And at the end of the magazine: They have top 50 prospects in the majors, going into this year.

When I have some free time (probably later tonight) I'll post some specifics for the Giants or Cubs, or other relevant teams.

Quote Originally Posted by PackfanMatt_12 View Post
    Still can't believe Kyle Lohse is available
    Given he's 34, has a 4.45 career ERA, the money he'll command being repped by Boras AND he's going to cost a draft pick - ick.

Cubs beat Japan 9-7

Then lose to the White Sox 15-3, in the 2nd game

Weird doubleheader.