Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there more variety in offense in CFB than NFL?

Microphone Master IowaSacKing93's Avatar
    Getting back to that Georgia Tech video: Do you see how the first play in the video is a triple option, and the QB gives it off to the Fullback (his first option)?

The 2nd play is also a triple option. The QB pitches it to his 2nd option (one of his backs), after faking to his FB (1st option)

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSacKing93 View Post
    Pro-style is more or less an offensive set where you aren't committing to the pass or run necessarily (so you won't have 5 WR's in the game). Maybe 2 RB/FB, 1 TE, and 2 WR would be the standard pro-style look, and the QB is typically under center as well.

It's just a really broad term given to most NFL offenses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro-style_offense

This video should help with understanding the option game a little better:

Again, the 'triple option' play is what to look for here. The Qb takes the snap, either hands it off directly to the fullback, or fakes it to him, (if he fakes it to the FB) then he has the option of keeping it himself, or pitching it to a Running Back (GT usually has 2-3 in the game).

So it's a triple option because the QB has 3 options on the play, and in theory, if he is reading the defense correctly, one of those 3 players (QB, FB, RB) should have an opportunity for a decent gain.
    Bump.

I need to watch these videos and learn something.

If I don't watch it today, it's going to be useless.

I'll start in 10-15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    Bump.

I need to watch these videos and learn something.

If I don't watch it today, it's going to be useless.

I'll start in 10-15 minutes.
    Ok, I watched the first two minutes. So Georgia Tech has the QB do a lot of running plays, and he hands it to one of his backs for a run. You're right, they do that 65-85% of the time.

So they have some fakes to free up one of the backs.

Also, when I asked about "backfield" earlier, I got mixed up and I didn't know the backfield was the area near the QB, I thought it was the area where one of the receivers would get the ball.

So that answers by question as to how the QB gets the ball to the backs in the backfield, because the backfield is the area near the QB.

You're right, there is a commitment to that style.

And I can see pro-style as being more 50/50.

Microphone Master IowaSacKing93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    Ok, I watched the first two minutes. So Georgia Tech has the QB do a lot of running plays, and he hands it to one of his backs for a run. You're right, they do that 65-85% of the time.

So they have some fakes to free up one of the backs.

Also, when I asked about "backfield" earlier, I got mixed up and I didn't know the backfield was the area near the QB, I thought it was the area where one of the receivers would get the ball.

So that answers by question as to how the QB gets the ball to the backs in the backfield, because the backfield is the area near the QB.

You're right, there is a commitment to that style.

And I can see pro-style as being more 50/50.
    Lol about backfield :P

But 'backfield' is a pretty general sports term.

Glad you learned something