Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should tbe starting backcourt be Fredette and Evans?

Lowry torched both guards ur right. But Brooks played better defense on the court and was up in Lowrys face where Jimmer makes him shoot the jumper. Lowry got alot of drives and fast break points to. U said Jimmer only had 12 mins look up n see how many points Lowry scorched him for in those 12 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by GoKings2010 View Post
    Lowry torched both guards ur right. But Brooks played better defense on the court and was up in Lowrys face where Jimmer makes him shoot the jumper. Lowry got alot of drives and fast break points to. U said Jimmer only had 12 mins look up n see how many points Lowry scorched him for in those 12 mins.
    0 points, 0 assists by Lowry on Fredette in the 2nd.

5 points by Lowry in the 4th on Fredette (Fredette scored 5 points of his own, for what it's worth).

Outside of Evans, we don't have a PG that can defend. Fredette tries, but he's awful on defense. Brooks isn't much better and Thomas, while he also tries, he can't compete with the size.

Too many average PG's with some hefty flaws.

Kings need outside shooting which Freddete can bring.

Quote Originally Posted by ctba View Post
    Kings need outside shooting which Freddete can bring.
    Garcia is better at that than Jimmer and plays better D.

Quote Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
    0 points, 0 assists by Lowry on Fredette in the 2nd.

5 points by Lowry in the 4th on Fredette (Fredette scored 5 points of his own, for what it's worth).
    I think u have to look at the other guards as well. He just didnt cover Lowry the whole game. I also think it was alot more than 5 pts I can gurantee it

I think u have to look at the other guards as well. He just didnt cover Lowry the whole game. I also think it was alot more than 5 pts I can gurantee it
    When Fredette was in during the 2nd quarter, the lineup was

Thornton
    Robinson
    Johnson
    Fredette
    Hayes

I don't think Thornton guarded Lowry, it was Fredette.

Fredette didn't have to cover Lowry the whole game. Fredette only played 12 minutes, remember? He just had to do it for those 12 minutes.

And according to what I can find, Lowry scored 5 points on Fredette, and 29 on Brooks (with the assists too).

Just face it, Brooks gave up a lot to Lowry in this one game. Fredette wasn't the worst defender on the Kings in that game.

Garcia is better at that than Jimmer and plays better D.
    Garcia used to be good at defense a few years ago, but not since the lockout IMO.

Even Grant said on his show this week that Garcia isn't a good defender anymore, he only brings shooting. And if his shot isn't falling, then he's not a good player anymore.

wonder how the Kings would be if they had actually worked a trade for Lowry and droped some cash on Ryan Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by OZfan View Post
    wonder how the Kings would be if they had actually worked a trade for Lowry and droped some cash on Ryan Anderson.
    you remember who owns that Kings right now?

Quote Originally Posted by OZfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ctba View Post
    you remember who owns that Kings right now?
    They could not have afforded Anderson. They only had $6.1 in cap space after the Jason Thompson cap hold.

I think a trade for Lowry could have been pursued. It would have used up almost all of the cap space though, Lowry's salary is $5.7M.

And I think they thought Thomas could be the starting PG, hence only a backup like Brooks was needed.

Cap was at $58.044, and after signing Thompson and waiving Whiteside, they had $51,862,625, with $6,181,375 available.

I was a little wary of Lowry just looking good in Houston's system. That's also a franchise that's changed PGs a lot recently. First it was Brooks, then Lowry, then Dragic for a bit when Lowry was hurt, now Lin.

But, I would have wanted Lowry, only after seeing that he was under contract through 2013-2014 (if not waived). I wouldn't have wanted Lowry for only 1 year, since I now see he's under contract for two more years (2012-2013, 2013-2014), I would have tried to trade for him. Especially since I wasn't sure how much better Thomas could get. I was hopeful after last year, but his other flaws showed this year.

They decided to split the $6.1M between two players. Brooks + Johnson = $6,062,006.

Lowry's salary was probably the only one that could have fit with the meager cap space too.

i thought we had cap space? Werent we just able to sign a few players to max deals? And we end up with Brooks,Johnson,Hayes,Thompson now we dont have no room to sign anyone? Id rather can them all and have the cap space back!

i thought we had cap space? Werent we just able to sign a few players to max deals? And we end up with Brooks,Johnson,Hayes,Thompson now we dont have no room to sign anyone? Id rather can them all and have the cap space back!
    Max deals?

Hayes was from 2011.

Thompson was $5,250,000, that's about 1/3 of a max deal.

Brooks was 3,250,000.

James Johnson was 2,812,006.

After signing Jason Thompson, the Kings had $6,181,375 left, and they used it to sign Brooks + Johnson ($6,062,006).

The Kings may or may not have space next year. It depends on if Brooks picks up his Players Option. And what happens with Evans. And anyways, we'll talk about next year after the trade deadline, because I'm sure there will be some minor trade at least that will change the numbers.

From next year's FA class, here's who I'd want:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents/

* Jose Calderon
    * OJ Mayo
    * Josh Smith
    * Paul Millsap
    * Brandan Wright
    * Al Jefferson

What about Brooks?

Fredette has the 3rd best FG% on the team, .463.
    This is why I wouldn't mind if Jimmer gets the start at PG or big minutes off the bench if his game is on. Jimmer can't defend, but neither can Brooks. Isaiah looked better last year. Saying one is better than the other when the difference is so small makes no difference. They all suck. The main goal would be to find someone who can bring other elements to the team that can best offset their limited defense. Jimmer has learned more control of his shots and is trying to make plays for other teammates. Brooks is like Thornton where he looks to score for himself. If he is on he can bring a spark but when he is off like he has been most of this season then he is useless. Isaiah is starting to wake up a bit though, but needs to continue to work to play within his own game. If Jimmer could ever be mediocre on defense he'd be a nice asset. I do like the control of game this year. Obviously he needs a lot more work, but growth is good.

They could not have afforded Anderson. They only had $6.1 in cap space after the Jason Thompson cap hold.

I think a trade for Lowry could have been pursued. It would have used up almost all of the cap space though, Lowry's salary is $5.7M.

And I think they thought Thomas could be the starting PG, hence only a backup like Brooks was needed.

Cap was at $58.044, and after signing Thompson and waiving Whiteside, they had $51,862,625, with $6,181,375 available.

I was a little wary of Lowry just looking good in Houston's system. That's also a franchise that's changed PGs a lot recently. First it was Brooks, then Lowry, then Dragic for a bit when Lowry was hurt, now Lin.

But, I would have wanted Lowry, only after seeing that he was under contract through 2013-2014 (if not waived). I wouldn't have wanted Lowry for only 1 year, since I now see he's under contract for two more years (2012-2013, 2013-2014), I would have tried to trade for him. Especially since I wasn't sure how much better Thomas could get. I was hopeful after last year, but his other flaws showed this year.

They decided to split the $6.1M between two players. Brooks + Johnson = $6,062,006.

Lowry's salary was probably the only one that could have fit with the meager cap space too.
    I wanted Lowry for his defense. I was a fan of Isaiah last year, as he was quite a surprise. He deserved a shot to start, but when you have a chance to get a better player than you do it. Lowry was good offensively, very solid on defense and a borderline allstar when healthy. Toronto gave up a protected first to get him, so the Kings had a shot to get him. They owe Cleveland a non-lottery first, so if the Kings offered a top-5 protected 1st....with the crap state of the Kings I'm sure the Rockets would of bit. Plus Lowry >>>>>> Brooks.

Kings have essentially blistered their cap space with shitty talent, the opposite of what you need to do - splurge on one/two players and fill in the gaps with that shitty, $2, $3 million talent.

Now they're going to have to extend Evans and Cousins which is going to handicap them financially - but not like it matters anyway since their draw to free agents is about none and Petrie's too busy making trades for shit.